Tuesday, April 22, 2014

People Are “Interesting!”

-
We have several things advertised for sale on Facebook right now, all at bargain-basement prices. One item had been up for only ten minutes when my wife got a call. Half-an-hour and 10 miles later, the guy was here in his new truck. Unfortunately, he was a despisable old cuss from the word go. His wife stayed strangely silent (as did I for that matter, since it was my wife’s item). Finally, he told my wife, “Well I’ll give you X (about ¾ what she was asking) and not a penny more.” My wife turned red as a beet, but replied calmly, “Well, it’s a shame that you drove all this way for nothing, but thank you.” Then she turned and walked away. I followed her. I thought I heard him growling to his wife as they walked back to their truck.


“I probably would have sold it to him for that if he hadn’t been such a hateful old goat,” my wife told me later. I suspect his wife knew that, but experience has taught her silence, no doubt. © 2014
-

7 comments:

Vicki said...

I've never understood what pleasure a person can get from being hateful. Good for your wife! I doubt I would have sold anything to someone that crabby. He probably would have been back in a week, complaining, even if there was nothing to complain about.

Lady Locust said...

Isn't that the "sugar attracts more flies than vinegar" saying:)

Sunnybrook Farm said...

That's the way to do it, he might think before he does that again!

Gorges Smythe said...

I just pity his wife, Vicki!

I thought the same thing, LL! lol

At his age, SF, I sort of doubt it.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

You would have thought he would come back with another offer. Why would you drive somewhere knowing you wouldn't give the asking price or at least be willing to bend.

Scooney Adrift said...

I guess that's the reason we don't do yard sales.... I would be chasing the old "Grumps" off with a stick!!
Maybe his wife chewed him out good after they got back in the car, hope so anyway.

Gorges Smythe said...

Male ego, I suspect, Kathy. A little is good; too much is.....too much.

lol Me too, Scooney!