Thursday, May 8, 2014

A Couple Of Slight Disappointments


-

I took a sprinkler can of water down to wet the soil where I planted a few seeds last night. After doing so, I took a closer look at what I thought, last night, was a common milkweed plant where I’d planted four roots last fall. Closer inspection showed it to be a specimen of Black Indian Hemp, another member of the milkweed family, but a supposedly poisonous one. Apparently, NONE of the four roots I’d planted survived.

I then walked out the road to where I thought I’d seen a couple milkweed plants, but they too were BIH. I want to get some common milkweed replanted into my garden, partly because they’re delicious, and partly to have a butterfly garden for Monarch Butterflies. I DID see a few day lilies growing in the road ditch, which are edible in four different ways, but I’m not sure where I’d put them yet, so I’ll leave them for now.

I guess you could say that much of my lawn will be a “stealth” garden if I ever get it done the way I’d like. Neither the government, nor the neighbors, can steal your emergency food if they don’t recognize it when they see it. © 2014
-

7 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I could fix you up with all those weeds if you were closer. Now if you get a driving job coming this way, I will make sure you don't dead head home.
Poke root are also available.
I only grow milk weed for butterflies, I will pass on eating that stuff.

Harry Flashman said...

Growing hemp, eh? Won't be long before the pot chopper is hovering over your place, blowing the shingles off the roof!

Ralph Goff said...

Well I have learned something new. Did not know milkweed was edible. Not sure if it grows here although I am sure we have plenty of other edible weeds if I was to look into it.

Gorges Smythe said...

Well, SF, it tastes similar to asparagus, except better. I can tell you more if you're curious.

Actually, HF, the National Guard flies over our place even in the winter time. I think they're on to me! lol Incidentally, Black Indian Hemp isn't even in the hemp family, but it DOES make good cordage.

Well, Ralph, the maps say you have it, but you have to be careful and not get a look-alike should you try it.

Harry Flashman said...

I live in the middle of a forest, surrounded by national park service land. I have an L shaped meadow in grass. The pot chopper, flying over the forest looking for weed farms, invariably comes and hovers over my meadow whenever they have a new pilot. I feel badly sometimes because it must be disappointing to think you have found the mother lode and have it turn out to be just plain old ground cover grass.

Gorges Smythe said...

Plant a little cow-parsnip, HF, maybe that'll give 'em a reason to land!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

You're right. Just think about all that free food growing wild along side the road and no one knows it is there.