Friday, May 16, 2014

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures

-
Some of you may have noticed that I haven’t had much to say this week. That’s because I’m back to work, for better or worse. The reason I say that is I’ve returned to telemarketing. The last place in town that I applied five years ago was a telemarketing place, for fear they’d hire me—and they did. I always swore that I’d never have such a low-life job but, unfortunately, pride doesn’t pay the bills. It’s finally come down to that again.

The area where I live is severely economically depressed, despite the fact that Obama keeps telling us that things are getting better. As a result, many of the area truck driving jobs that are somewhat seasonal, because they rely partly on the construction business, are slow in opening up this spring. The reason, of course, is that everyone is so scared about the economy that they’re taking a “wait and see” approach to building projects. I can’t say that I blame them. If I was smart, I’d apply at a beer distributorship. The worse things get, the better beer sells, possibly because of the excellent advice given in Proverbs 31:7.

One of life’s ironies is that this telemarketing job pays as well as some of the entry-level driving jobs. It sort of makes me wonder if I’ve wasted three months and $4000 of the state’s money getting my CDL! I believe that one reason this job pays a little better than my old one is that it uses a semi-computerized system that lets a single agent carry on up to three calls at one time. SO, some of those calls you get that seem to be a “real live person,” may actually be multiple recordings artfully manipulated by a real live person! The times they are a-changin’.

The worst thing about this job is also the best thing—I’m stuck on afternoon shift for now (which my wife HATES), but that also allows me time to continue looking for a better job, or go to interviews. So far, though, the only nibble was from a small water company who was hoping I had my own semi, so I could make a monthly run out of Kentucky. (I sorta wondered if it was REALLY water in those 1000 jugs that they wanted me to haul!)


The 31-year accumulation of “stuff” we’d been selling to stay in groceries and gasoline, quit selling suddenly when the weather warmed enough for the yard sales to start. But, I’ll have my first paycheck next week, so even though things aren’t great, they’re getting better. © 2014
-

16 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Please don't call me! lol
Now that would be a grand scheme to have shine hauled in a large truck, not good for the driver though if it got in a wreck.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Well congratulations on your job, even if it isn't the one you really want. Like you say, it pays the bills.

Sixbears said...

You do what you have to do. Hope you'll be able to do what you want to do soon.

Mamma Bear said...

Sorry it is not what you want but glad you have something. Construction is jumping in our beach area. Builders reduced 300,000.00 homes to 200,000.00 and they are selling like hotcakes and they're still making money. Of course this was going on when the bubble burst a few years ago. Bound to happen again.

Lady Locust said...

A paycheck will be nice even if it's not for doing something you want to do. It just shows that you are above yourself & will do what it takes.
Blessings.

Mamahen said...

Sorry it came down to this :(( Having worked in telemarketing most of 9 yrs I know how grueling it can be..Prayers the stress is eased by the income enough to make it worth putting up with the job!

kymber said...

Mr. Smythe - i very much respect that you are able to take a job that you don't like in order to support yourself and your wife. i worked at 3 fast food jobs while putting myself through college and i hated those jobs with every fibre of my being. but like you say - you gotta do what you gotta do. jambaloney has also worked at a ton of jobs that he hated just to be able to pay for rent and whatnot. we have been fortunate since we got together to have jobs that were at least "stand-able". so i understand that this job is not the one you want, but it will pay. and having your CDL to pull out of your pocket anytime, may come in very handy in the future. i wish you all the best, Sir.

your friend,
kymber

JaneofVirginia said...

Gosh Gorges,
I feel really badly. I have a rule that we never buy anything over the phone due to the high potential for scams and identity theft. I know this makes life hard on honest people like yourself !
Love to you and your wife and may things pick up soon !

Harry Flashman said...

I'm never rude to telemarketers. I always figure it's a human being who is working to support themselves on the other end of that line. The guy I used to work for loved to get telemarketing calls because he enjoyed being as hateful and rude to people as he could be, and that was an opportunity for him to do so. I used to hope one of them would show up in the office one day and blow him away.

Gorges Smythe said...

LOL I can't make any promises, SF, since the dialing is done by computer. As for the shine, I guess you'd only need one good haul to have some spending money for quite a while!

Thanks, Kathy; that's the way I see it!

Well, Sixbears, I picked up an application at a beer distributorship today, so I'm open-minded about my options. lol

You know, MB, I was serious that people drink even in the worst of times, that beer truck keeps sounding better all the time!

Well, LL, it took me over a year to swallow my pride, but it was either that or start eating canned soup for breakfast!

You know, Mh, I think this place may be better than the last one, at least until they start wanting me to handle three computers at a time.

Thanks, kymber, I haven't given up on driving, but I CAN be a little more choosey now.

Don't feel bad, Jane, I never deal with ANYONE who calls ME! If I want something, I call THEM.

Believe me, HF, those folks on the other end really appreciate people like you. Sometimes, pleasant people come along right after the caller gets cussed up one side and down the other, and it does alot to help them not develop their own bad attitude.

Chickenmom said...

Glad you found work, Gorges even if it isn't exactly what you wanted. Al least you'll have some money coming in on a regular basis. That is ALWAYS a good thing!

Brian said...

Well done with the job Gorges, sometimes any luck is good luck .. And enjoy your first pay check... ;)

M. Silvius said...

You gots to do what you gots to do! and I am glad you got some money coming in. But you will have forgive my rude answering machine message saying, "you reached the number you dialed, leave a message", cause we don't pick up calls from numbers we don't recognize. ;-)

Gorges Smythe said...

Regularity has something to be said for it, Cm; that's for sure. Also, this place pays every week, rather than twice a month, like my former job. That makes it easier to flex your budget if unexpected expenses come up.

Thanks, Brian!

Nothing rude about THAT, Michael, simply to the point!

Angela said...

Well, I'm glad you found work, but I wish it would have been something that you would have liked. I'm sure it will be nice to have a paycheck to come in once a week instead of every two weeks. One job my husband worked at he only got paid once a month! That was hard to get used to believe me!

Hope you are able to find a truck driving job so you can quit the new job. I keep getting calls to lower my interest rate. I keep pressing the number so they will take me off the list but yet they continue to call. I called the do not call registry today and put my number on there again because it has been a few years. I'm just one of those people who only wants to get a call if it is someone I know that is calling me.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Angela. Tell the caller that you are on the national DNC list and then tell them to put you on THEIR DNC list. Every company has one, though they don't advertise the fact.