Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Puttering Around The Garden

-
After running the errands for the day, my wife and I “counted our pennies” so to speak and headed for the Chinese Emporium, so she could take her daily constitutional and pick up a couple food items. Now that money is a bit tighter than it used to be, we’ve discovered how much we enjoy eating. She was lamenting that we had to get only what we needed, and not what we wanted, which means we still have plenty, if you get my drift. Still, some of what she wanted was actually healthy vegetables, so her lament had some real merit. Zucchini and summer squash were a couple of the items, so I gathered up my change and went inside after I’d let her out and bought a package of zucchini seed. I wasn’t sure I had enough change for summer squash seed, so that will have to wait until next trip. The little packet of seeds was $1.88 plus tax. I recalled selling flower seeds when I was a kid, and a heavier packet than that one sold for only 15¢. My, how the times have changed in 50 years!


We didn’t get back from town in time for me to get any serious outside work done, but I wanted to do SOMETHING. I got the old tire casing off the top of the firewood stack, where it had been holding down the windward end of a tarp, and replaced it with a heavy chunk of wood. Then, I took it down to my tiny garden area to join its four brothers. After adding a little bit more dirt to the first one, I planted four zucchini seeds in it. Then, I lined up the other tires where I wanted them, trying to decide what else to plant there. I’ll wait until another evening to fill them with dirt. Food is getting too expensive for poor folks. People have got to change their habits and hobbies if they want to continue eating on a regular basis. I’m answering Sixbear’s call to action. Four seeds maybe be a comical beginning in some ways, but it’s a start. Plus, I decided not to harvest any sun-chokes from my planting last year and just let them multiply. I already have some woods dirt that needs sifted and I’ll be able to fill the other tires. Those may be little steps, but at least they’re in the right direction. © 2014
-

8 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I wish I would have known you wanted zucchini and squash. I have extra. Any other seeds you are interested in that I might have? I'd send you some. Don't forget to check for those squash bugs later on. I take duct tape and wind it backwards on my hand then turn over the leaves looking for the pretty eggs. If you get them young they won't kill your plants.

Chickenmom said...

Every little bit is going to help.
I grow a lot of basil, oregano and other herbs and use them daily- it puts nice flavors into food. A lot I dehydrate and use all winter long. I think indoor winter gardens are going to be mighty popular, too.

Vicki said...

Planting four seeds isn't any more comical than when I buy a couple packets of seeds each time I go to the store. I don't have a place to plant them. But if I buy seeds now and collect containers and soil over time, perhaps I can have a little container garden on the communal deck of my building next year. If nothing else, I have kids who can use the seeds if need be. Sixbears is right. We need to do whatever we can to feed ourselves. And that starts with four seeds!

Gorges Smythe said...

I'll remember that, Kathy, although deer may be an even bigger worry.

I was thinking about dehydrating, too, Cm; there's always way more zucchinis than can be used at once.

Valid point, Vicki.

Bob Mc said...

I'm not up to planting much of a garden anymore, but I still plant a few things in containers. Mainly tomatoes, lettuce, and zucchini. I put the tomatoes and lettuce in old rabbit cages to keep the deer and ground squirrels away from them. Strangely nothing seems to bother the zucchini.

Gorges Smythe said...

You know, Bob, I never got any tomatoes the year before last because of the deer. Last year, I didn't get any because of the squirrels. It's obvious that I need to start hunting again!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

To keep the deer away we strung fishing line around the garden about chest high to a deer. They can't see it (we can't either) so when they walk into it, it feels like something is pushing against them and they get spooked and run off. It works pretty well but I had to put a few orange ties on it so I wouldn't walk through it.

Gorges Smythe said...

Maybe I should try that, Kathy. I have some stored back for "hard times," this might qualify! lol