Friday, June 6, 2014

Four Weeks Of Telemarketing

-
The company I now work for seems to treat their help better than the company where I worked before, plus, they pay better. Still, you’ll never get rich being a telemarketer unless you own the company. I continue to hold the opinion that telemarketing is the practice of talking mostly the poorest of the poor (retired widows) into giving their money to people far richer than they are. One little old lady stated it well when she said that she had no intention giving any of her retirement money to people who made five times what she did, even though her social security is more than most widows draw. Wise lady! She had the figures correct, too; I looked them up. The cops in her particular area have a benefit package of about $75K a year, and the cops is who we were calling for.

That brings up another subject that I don’t care for. Although I’ve had only very limited trouble with them over the years, I don’t like cops as a rule, though I know a very FEW that I like as individuals. Most belong behind bars themselves. So who does the company I work for do most of their calling? Cops, of course! Even worse, they are mostly groups from the largest, best paid, unionized cities and states, not the poor, underpaid, small-town and back-county types. The big-city cops are mostly corrupt to begin with, imagine what they can do with the millions of dollars the fund-raisers get for them. Incidentally, cops are so universally disliked, that it’s very hard to get folks to donate to them. As a result, while some TRUE charities get as high as 85% of the funds raised, cops get only 10%, due to the high rate of refusal. Many people cite constitutional violations and assaults by area cops, along with the rampant corruption. Even then, the crooks in blue reap multi-millions of dollars, as a group.

I’m limited in how I can run a call, due in part to company policies and in part due to the limited amount of tapes available with which to respond. Still, I pray every day that I can walk the fine line between what the company expects of me and what the Lord considers proper. I suspect that I have a higher percentage of calls dropped from the call list than average, but why keep pestering folks who don’t have any money to begin with, yet are upset that they can’t help? The Lord put me in the last telemarketing job because he wanted to open my eyes to some things, perhaps that’s why I’m in this job as well. If so, I hope that I figure out whatever it is soon, and he lets me move on to a more pleasant job.


Still, there are some amusing moments. The other day, a sweet little girl answered the phone and I asked for the man or lady of the house. I then heard pitter-patter-pitter-patter-pitter-patter, “Mommy, it’s a MAN!” LOUDER pitter-patter-pitter-patter-pitter-patter, and a very friendly female voice said, “Hello!” I clicked the button and the pitch began. I then heard her disappointed voice say, “Just my luck!” I felt her pain. © 2014
-

8 comments:

Sixbears said...

We all do what we have to do. I don't know if I could have stuck with it. Hope you find something you enjoy, and pays well, in the near future.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

When I was in high school in Lexington Va, most of the police force either got put in jail or weaseled out of the charges of burglary. With them gone the crime rate dropped to almost nothing. People would tell the police when they went on vacation and their house would get broken in to. Businesses were being broken into and always the police were on the scene but mysteriously just missed the thieves.

Mamahen said...

...and I feel YOUR pain! The job is rough enough if you're calling for a cause you believe in!

Pumice said...

I think you are also giving us some insight into the world of the telemarketers. Although I don't like being called and would never buy or give that way, I show a bit more courtesy. After all, it might be Gorges calling and I wouldn't want to insult someone I am praying for.

I missed the post about you going back to work but saw you mention a new job in another post. I was hoping it was behind a wheel instead of a landline. Keep looking

Grace and peace.

HermitJim said...

Tough way to make a buck. Hope you are able to find a happy medium, my friend!

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Sixbears.

It doesn't surprise me a bit, SF.

True, Mh, but I figure the Lord put me there for a reason, so I just need to make the best of it for now.

I AM still looking, Pumice, and staying in contact with places where I already have applications in.

Thanks, Jim.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

First, I'm glad you have a job. Secondly, I'm sorry it's not the perfect one for you. Maybe something else will turn up.

Gorges Smythe said...

Well, Kathy, I've put up with less than perfect jobs all my life, so I guess I can handle it. In fact, That's probably the case with most of us. I AM glad to have a paycheck again, though. It's surprising how handy that can be!