Friday, June 13, 2014

The Devil Throws Me A Curve (Or Five)

-
I sold a small piece of farm machinery recently, since I’d already sold the tractor that was used to run it. The money helped catch up some bills, buy us one good meal out and even allow me to take my wife on a much-needed day-trip to calm her frazzled nerves. There was even a little money still left over, so I thought I’d get one of my guns out of hock and buy the missus a compression shirt to help with her Lymphedema. I should have known better.


First, the expensive, yet cheaply made showerhead went bad after only a couple years. So, I forked out too much money for another poorly-made, but expensive (to me) showerhead. Next, I spent four times what I expected to order a battery for my laptop. Then my phone started crapping out on me, so there went another chunk of change. While in that department at the Chinese Emporium, I picked up a set of ear-buds, to use on my job, since I think they’re soon going to force me to operate a third computer simultaneously at work. It took $60 to top off my tank for the coming week, so now I’ve got just enough left for groceries and incidentals for the week. Robert Burns was right about mice and men. © 2014
-

12 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

That's a shame, but maybe next week!

Sunnybrook Farm said...

You must be mistaken, the TV news reports that the economy is coming back and everything is going great.

Harry Flashman said...

"The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men , Gang aft agley,"

One of my favorite poems.

Things like that happen. Life seems to be one constant series of problems requiring attention, one after the other. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

Chickenmom said...

Easy come - easy go. We've all been there (and still are). Think how boring life would be without it! :o)

Sixbears said...

When we got some money I told my wife we'd better spend it on a sailboat before we have to spend it wisely. Good thing we bought it when we did as "unexpected" expenses soon cropped up. Such is life.

Gorges Smythe said...

LOL! I've been saying that for decades, Kathy. My mother-in-law used to grin and say, "Live in hope if you die in despair!"

Yeah, SF, I think I'll do a piece on THAT, too!

HF, I think I've heard it said that life is what happens while we're busy making plans.

That's true, Cm, and what would I have to whine about?

Wise words, Sixbears!

HermitJim said...

One thing is almost always true about plans...they very often seem to fail!

Hope you find some level ground again soon!

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Jim!

Brian said...

I hope your next sale, stays in your pocket a little longer. Sometimes it just seems to be one thing after another.. Happy and healthy money can come after these two... ;)

Gorges Smythe said...

One thing this past year has taught me, Brian, whine as I will, the Lord DOES provide!

Vicki said...

I thought old Murphy was living at my house, but it seems he has moved on to yours! Hope he moves on to greener pastures soon, and leaves you and your wife alone, and let you get on with living.

Gorges Smythe said...

lol - I'msure he has time for ALL of us, Vicki!