Sunday, July 27, 2014

Advice From A (Former) Telemarketer

-
JUST SAY NO! There’s no charity that you can’t donate to more directly and no product or service that you can’t buy elsewhere! I don’t do business with ANYONE who calls me on the phone, since there’s no way to prove who they are, unless I know them personally.

Don’t give ANYONE your credit card number, debit card number, bank account number, or social security number, even if they say they’re from your bank, your card company, or a government agency. Even though the companies that I worked for were “legitimate” in a legal sense, they sometimes had to fire people for trying to write down people’s credit card numbers to use later for their own purposes. TRUST NO-ONE!

EVERY firefighter and police “charity” that I’ve ever come across is a complete scam. First off, your local folks in uniform will never benefit from your donation. The money is solicited for large departments in large cities which are often affiliated with the mob. Pay-outs go only to people who are members of their organization. Most small town folks in uniform are NOT members of those groups. Fire chiefs and police chiefs that I have spoken to personally say that you have to apply for grants from those groups to get any money, and those grants are never “granted.” Most of the funds go to those who run the group, NOT grieving widows, injured firefighters and cops, or small departments needing funding. The ONLY way you can benefit your local department is to give the money locally.

Though most of those groups get millions of dollars from telemarketing companies, the highest percentage that I’ve heard of the organization getting was 12%. The rest was kept by the telemarketing company.  Most of that probably went to the owner of the company; they certainly don’t pay their help very much.

There IS one positive thing about telemarketing. It provides jobs (though very low paying ones) to people who might be living on the streets otherwise. So, in a sense, it IS a valid charity, just not in the sense that most folks would think. Still, telemarketing continues to exist due solely to the basic stupidity of the average person. Sorry if this steps on anyone’s toes. © 2014
-

14 comments:

Ralph Goff said...

Thanks for that inside information Gorges. I had heard that the biggest percentage of donations went to the telemarketing agency rather than the charity. And they sure do try to get me to give my credit card so they can save money on postage. I just tell them its a cheque or nothing. Lately the answering machine seems to screen them all out for me.

JaneofVirginia said...

Thanks Gorges ! It's good to know that the positions I have evolved to, are correct with regard to telemarketing. We just can't know who is on the phone.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

People should have just sent money directly to you and bypassed the telemarketing place. lol Help the needy, donate to retired telemarketers!

Sixbears said...

You must be so happy to get out of the business.

I got a call from someone trying to collect money for disabled firefighters. As a disabled firefighter myself, I asked how I could get some of that aid. "Click" Never had a telemarketer hang up on me before.

Mamahen said...

Lol...there are a lot of us out there, who just weren't able to work at our old jobs for health reasons who had no choice but work in telemarketing or not work at all...I finally had to give up and go on disability. I'm not proud of that either, but had no choice.

Mamahen said...

Lol Gorges, doesn't it feel good to say FORMER telemarketer :))

Gorges Smythe said...

Do what works for you, Ralph.

It's just common sense, Jane, but then you know that.

Hey, I'd have been all for that, SF! lol

They should have given you a phone number, Sixbears, but they actually did you a favor, all things considered.

I was one of those, Mh, and yes it DOES feel good.

Bob Mc said...

I hardly ever answer my phone anymore unless I am expecting an important call within a few minutes. I have both a home phone and a cell phone, and they both have an answering service. Anyone who really wants to talk to me personally can leave a message and I'll call them back. If they won't leave a message I just assume it is a telemarketer and ignore it. Glad you are out of that business Gorges.

Gorges Smythe said...

Sounds like a system, Bob!

Pumice said...

I have been off line a few days. From your title I am hoping you got the job from the interview. I will find out lower down. I am also going to try to link this post because it is good advice.

Grace and peace

Gorges Smythe said...

I just spent my first day driving a dump truck, Pumice. I believe I'll like the work, though the hours will be long through the summer.

Pumice said...

Great news. Maybe in the winter they will put a plow on the front and you will have even longer hours.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

Pumice, with friends like you, I need no enemies! lol

Angela said...

I get on average 3 to 5 calls a day from telemarketers and I'm on the do not call list. I also get calls from people wanting me to donate to breast cancer. I tell them I've already given. They don't hang up on me though but they do call back even though I ask to be taken off their list.

I'm so happy that you have a new job! Congratulations and I hope your first week is going well!