Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Impersonating A Bowl Of Cereal

-
Most of us with a few miles on us have joked about our joints snapping, crackling and popping when we move. I tease my chiropractor when he tries to give me an adjustment and his hands crack more than my joints. I tell not to worry, that I won’t charge him anything.

Recently, though, I’ve been making such noises when lying absolutely still. I mostly sleep on my left side, but I’ve always turned to my right side if I get tired of lying on that side. Anymore, though, when I do lay on my right side, my vertebra, shoulder joints and rib connections seem to click and pop something awful for a while. It’s like all my blubber is causing them to shift from their old “sleeping on my left side position” to a new position for sleeping on my right side. This has only been going on for a little over a month, but it’s mildly disconcerting, when I’m trying to go to asleep, since each pop is very slightly painful.


Getting old isn’t for sissies, I’ve been told. I guess it beats the alternative, though. © 2014
-

10 comments:

Sixbears said...

It's when your joints pop so loud that your spouse wakes up, that's when it's bad.

Chickenmom said...

I hear 'ya, Gorges! My knees sound like firecrackers when I stand up.
It's annoying as heck - and hurts sometimes, too!

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Maybe getting more exercise at work will eventually help with it.

Vicki said...

Ah, yes. The sound of a bowl of Rice Krispies. I know it well. :)

Mamahen said...

I also sleep on my left side....to move onto my right side causes excruciating pain in the mid section of my spine going around my ribcage...needless to say I don't do that.....You're correct old age is not, for sissies!

Tania @ Out Back said...

I think you should try yoga Gorges! Or some stretching exercises at least. Helps with the joints etc.

It certainly isn't fun getting older. I have things creaking and popping too and I am just over 50. I have started walking for exercise, that seems to help :)

Hope you have been keeping well in my absence :)

Ralph Goff said...

Gorges, as some say, "when every move you makes hurts, you tend to make less moves"". Actually I can't complain too much as I am still reasonably flexible compared to some. But yes, the old joints do make a little more noise than they used to.

Scooney Adrift said...

Ah, the joy's of getting older!
I think the popping joints are just part of the program.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I understand, I don't sleep nearly as well and something always hurts.

Gorges Smythe said...

I imagine so, Sixbears!

Sure is, Cm.

Don't know if it will help, SF, but it sure won't hurt.

I guess most of us "mature" folks do, Vicki!

Sad, but true, Mh.

I guess I've avoided yoga because of its Hindu connection, Tania.

Yeah, bad habits are self-enforcing, I guess, Ralph.

Yeah, and it only gets worse, I've heard, Scooby!

Guess we're entering those "golden years," Kathy! lol