Saturday, September 20, 2014

SIMPLIFY!

-
Thoreau gave that advice in Walden in the year 1854. Every generation since has had a few folks that strove to do just that, at least in some parts of their life, and a few in every part. With a worthless currency, higher taxes, and ever more intrusiveness by the government, more folks are starting to take that advice to heart.

Just today, I bumped into a former co-worker who is near retirement age, working full time, and thinking about taking on a second job to make it easier to meet her expenses. She’s not an extravagant person and has a little home, yet she’s having a rough time. She’s beginning to consider selling her home and the few acres that it sits on, to buy a camper and put it on a few acres across the road. Listing the address of a friend or relative as her own, she could “camp” there year around with no utilities and no house tax. I believe she said that she knew of others doing it. Who could blame her?

A fellow blogger already spends half the year living on a 19 foot sailboat with his wife. He’s currently building a 12 footer with which to do the same thing. He mentions living on the boat year around as an option, if things keep getting worse. Some folks are already doing it.

On a smaller scale, a friend recently got rid of his cell phone. He felt no need to always be accessible to everyone at every moment and now uses only his land-line, which he already had anyway. He’s money ahead and has a quieter life. Good call, I’d say.


Why be a slave to Wall Street and all your “stuff?” What can you do without to simplify your life and save money? Maybe it’s time to look at the matter again. © 2014
-

8 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Great post. That line between needs and wants is sometimes blurry. How many years did we survive before cel phones?

Gorges Smythe said...

LL, we may someday be forced to learn the difference, if today's people are CAPABLE of learning.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

We are planning on going back to over the air TV to save money. I made my own antenna and it brings in an excellent picture for free.
Obama care has really intruded into our lives and created expense and trouble and less coverage than we had. If I could only get paid in cash so that big brother didn't have access to all of my business so that they can confiscate money electronically.

Gorges Smythe said...

I've got the plans for one of those, SF, but my wife wants her cable! That's why they want to do away with cash, of course.

Pumice said...

I don't know if you ever listen to the financial gurus like Dave Ramsey. My frustration is that I am already doing most of the things they talk about.

I like the cell phone idea but it would make it impossible for my wife to keep tabs on me, or rather, to be able to get hold of me in an emergency. I look at it as her security blanket.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

I don't have any money to save, Pumice, so I don't listen to much about it. It's the same with my wife!

Angela said...

There is a man about 3 miles from my house who is living on his old family homestead in a really small camper. He has been living in it year round for probably 5 years now. I don't know how he keeps it heated in the winter. I think he goes without ac in the summer. He used to sit outside a lot but I don't see him doing that this year.

I use a pay as you go cell phone which doesn't cost me much to use. I don't need a fancy phone. Plus it doesn't work at my house anyway.

I really wouldn't mind to get rid of the satellite at all. It started out at $21 a month and now I'm up to $80 something a month and that is without the basic package! Outrageous!

Gorges Smythe said...

We could ALL get by with less stuff in our lives, Angela, and would probably be the better for it.