Saturday, October 4, 2014

Looking For A New Barber

-
From the time that I was born, I used the same barbershop until I was in my 40’s. Then the last barber in that shop retired and I had to find a new one. He was a young guy, but did a good job, so I figured that I was set for life. Then, recently, I started working days, rather than afternoons. Suddenly, I can go to my regular barber only if I’m there when he opens at eight on Saturdays. Call me lazy, but it’s hard for me to make myself get up at six, when I’ve been getting up at four all week.

Also, the fellow had relocated to the far side of town. The last time I was there, I learned that he had gotten a divorce and already was living with his girlfriend across the state line. That sounded a little quick, unless her presence preceded the divorce. That also means that he’s making his money in this state, but probably spending it in the other one. Somehow, neither sits well with me, whether it’s any of my business or not.


I looked online at those vacuum attachments to cut hair, but they start at $80 and look like a pain in the keister, from what I can see on the videos. I could go to the mall, but I refuse to get my hair “styled”, just for the privilege of paying twice as much for a haircut. My wife says there’s an older barber in a shop that I drive by several times a week. Maybe I’ll try him. I just hope he heeds my warnings about all my moles and skin tags. I don’t like the looks of blood in my hair! © 2014
-

13 comments:

Penny said...

Reading right along, comfortably, because I know you'll solve this problem, but you made my stomach do a little somersault there at the end. Haha..good one!

Gorges Smythe said...

It could be worse, Penny. I tried one old man years ago who tried to cut my ear off with the scissors!

JaneofVirginia said...

Gorges,

I have been cutting my own hair since 1978. I have a system, but of course, long hair is easier to trim, about every six weeks or so.
I can relate to what you are talking about though. I feel the same way about doctors. I personally prefer a male doctor (fatherly type) for my primary care. The last one died recently, and I have had to make the jump to a young woman who is just three years older than my eldest child. I am really hoping, she is there for life. Of course, I suspect, she will not be.
Take good care.

Gorges Smythe said...

Trying to find a doctor, a GOOD one, is even harder, Jane.

Pumice said...

I have solved the problem. Since I don't ever feel I need a haircut, my wife calls a lady she knows, tells her how she wants it cut and makes an appointment. That way the only person who needs to look at me every day is happy and you know if mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy.

Grace and peace.

Lady Locust said...

Mr. LB goes with clipper hear 1 or 2 in winter and shaves his head in summer and claimes he can't wait to go bald so he doesn't have to worry about hair:)

Sixbears said...

Until recently I had long hair that I kept in a pony tail. Wash brush, tie up. Easy. Once in a while my wife would sneak behind me and trim the ragged ends off.

That was fine until I got epoxy in my hair from building my boat. Long story short I buzz cut it down to nothing. Now I'll probably keep it to a 1/2 inch or so. What the heck, I own the electric razor.

So for me, either really long or really short works just as well -and I don't have to pay someone to do it.

Gorges Smythe said...

Sounds like a system, Pumice!

It's probably wise to keep a little up there in the winter, LL; save the brain freeze for summer-time slushies!

Like always, you have a simple solution, Sixbears.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I can see you going down the road in your truck with a pony tail blowing in the wind!

Gorges Smythe said...

Back in the days when I was a hippified redneck, I could have gotten a rubber-band around it in the back, but that was about it.

Carole Barkett said...

Why is it so hard to find someone who listens in any profession today?

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Good luck! My husband won't go to a stylist either. Our old barber used to serve bloody nstys or screwdrivers in the weekend mornings.

Gorges Smythe said...

Too many young folks, I think, Carole; and they all think they can "multi-task!"

Now THAT'S my kind of barber, Kathy! lol