Sunday, December 14, 2014

Going To Commencement

-
My wife and I attended my stepson’s college graduation Friday evening. He’s 44, but a long way from being the oldest graduate there, though there were plenty of “kids” there, too. It’s a shame his father died when he was 11 years old and never got to see him grow up. I know he’d be proud of him for the fellow he’s become. I know that it wasn’t easy balancing school, work and family responsibilities, but he did it. I hope it allows him to get the job that he wants now.

I was somewhat amused at the knowledge I gained during the short time that I was within those hallowed halls of learning. Reading the program was a logical way to break the boredom while waiting for the program to start and suffering through the self-congratulatory speech of the “honored guest.” Through name recognition (and later visual observation) I learned the following:

My neighbor’s ex-wife just became a nurse. I regret almost any divorce, but I suspect he was mean even when he was sober.

The grandson of one of our late “great” local crooked liberal politicians graduated.

The daughter of one of my former coworkers graduated.

A relative of one of my current coworkers graduated.

The rude, slovenly, unshaved guy at Walmart, who never washes his hands after going to the bathroom, got a degree in Criminal Justice. I much as I hate to see him become a cop, it COULD have been worse; he COULD have gone into medicine!


Considering what I learned, I guess a little schooling is good for ALL of us! ;-) © 2014
-

4 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

I didn't attend my own graduation ceremony at UNM, let alone anybody else's. Just took the wall hanger and left.

Gorges Smythe said...

I did basically the same, HF. I was going while drawing unemployment, so it was basically my job to go to school. I figured that I didn't need to get recognition for just doing my job.

Sixbears said...

I graduated from college at 41, so I know what it's like. Glad my mom was still alive to see it, as she always wanted me to go to college. (didn't want me to go badly enough to pay for it though)

Gorges Smythe said...

Wise woman. I don't feel parents OWE their kids an education, though it's nice when they can help.