Tuesday, December 16, 2014

I Drove All Day And All I Got Was One Measely Picture! (w/pic)

-
Click photo to enlarge.

Monday, Some coworkers and I drove from Parkersburg, West Virginia, all the way to Hanover, West Virginia, picked up a load, took it to Ashland, Kentucky and unloaded, then went home. It took all day and put excactly 500 miles on my truck. My only chance to snap a photo was when we were stopped by Asplundh personnel pretending to work.

I thought it was an intersting old building that stood across the hollow from the highway. It was originally a small building of square hewn logs. Sometime later (much later, I suspect) an upstairs was added, using small, round logs (poles). I'm guessing the original building is from the 1800's. while the addition was added between 1920 and 1950. I wonder if they didn't use small poles for three reasons. First, there may not have been any large logs available locally to make squared timbers, so they used second-growth poles. Second, there may not have been anyone available with the skill to hew timbers. Third, the small poles would be much easier to lift to the higher level.

You'll notice that they cantilevered the front gable end, and I believe the back gable, also. Thus, the upstairs is larger than the downstairs. I think the building would be just barely salavageable at this point, but not fot long. More's the pity. © 2014
-

6 comments:

M. Silvius said...

Looks like a tobacco drying barn to me.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

If logs aren't covered, they won't last long around here. So many log buildings that have had clapboards removed because the logs look good, are rotting away. Our house is part log dating to 1800 which is a long time for a piece of wood to last but they are completely hidden.

Ralph Goff said...

I still have my great uncle's log barn standing here although it is going downhill fast. Vertical logs set on rocks and the base gradually rots letting walls settle. Plain old poplar logs have lasted 110 years and counting. One of these days I'd like to try building one just to see if I could.

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

'Tis a truly great one, though.

Chickenmom said...

Lots of old barns like that around here. I would love to have some of those boards!

Gorges Smythe said...

You may very well be right, Michael. When I was a kid, a lot of folks still grew tobacco for themselves and their family and friends.

SF, The bad thing is that uncovered, the weather gets them, covered, then termites do!

You could always jack it up and put a short stone or block base under it, Ralph.

Glad you enjoyed it, Jerry.

It costs nothing to ask, Cm, but most folks would want money for them.