Saturday, January 10, 2015

Call Me Fickle

-
My wife and I were at the Chinese Emporium today, spending my partial paycheck (for the partial week that I worked, due to bad weather). While my wife got the usual items, I picked up a bag of those little “cutie” brand tangerines to take in my lunch next week. Then, I started looking to see where they were from. It turns out that they hail from Morocco. No thanks, I have no intentions of doing business with a muslim country, not after all the terrorism the “religion” supports. I put them back.

Then, I went to get my usual bottles of water to put in my lunch. Two spaces over was a stack of the same brand with four bonus bottles. I suspect they were selling for the same price, but, as is all too often the case in the Chinese Emporium, they weren’t marked. My dad always said that if something wasn’t marked, they apparently didn’t want to sell it. I tend to agree with him. I had no intention of getting to the register, thinking that I was getting a deal, only to discover that it was the new size package with a higher price. SO, I took the regular size package that had a price posted above it.

When we got to the register and combined our carts, a package of blueberries that my wife had chosen wouldn’t scan, despite the barcode being in perfect condition. The clerk started to call for a price, but I told her not to bother, telling her that I didn’t want to have to wait on a reply, and that we would just do without them. Surprisingly, both the clerk and my wife were agreeable on the matter.


So, we left minus three items that we’d planned to get, one due to my personal prejudice against murderous scumbags, and two due to poor merchandising on the part of the store. Oh well, we’re going to another store tomorrow, maybe we can find what we want there. © 2015
-

11 comments:

Angela said...

I think it was about 3 years ago I bought some oranges from the Chinaemporium. When I got them home I discovered they were from West Africa! I took them back the next day and got my money back. I threw a fit! I get so tired of having to look at packages of food to see where it came from. My eyes are going so I had to buy a pair of reading glasses just so I can see that small print when I'm shopping now!

And you will be proud to know I haven't went in a WM since I went there in September to return something I bought in May. I didn't even go there to buy anything for Christmas! I'm mostly a Kroger shopper now because they have better produce and I get gas rewards that I finally figured out! lol

Vicki said...

That's not being fickle, Gorges. That's being smart. If more folks were interested in where their food comes from, it would help the growers here at home. And I, too, tend to stay away from items that aren't clearly marked. I either find out the price before putting it into my cart, or it stays on the shelf. I'm the same way about phone calls. If one comes up on Caller ID that I don't recognize, and they don't want to leave a message, I figure they didn't want to talk to me in the first place. I'm kinda ornery that way!

Sunnybrook Farm said...

We shop very similarly as I make choices on country of origin. I don't shop at chinamart but had to go there as we got a gift card at work. I normally shop at regular grocery stores so know the prices and kept finding that the chinamart prices were higher than the exact product at say Krogers. It didn't use to be that way but they have people brainwashed to believe all of the lowest price signs hanging all over the store. Add in the superior customer service that I get at the other stores and I seldom go back to the so called low price store.

Gorges Smythe said...

If it wasn't for the missus, I'd rarely darken their door, Angela.

I do about the same thing with phone calls, Vicki.

You're right about them not always having the lowest prices, SF. Nor does Sam's Club. Either is the "ecomy size" always the best deal.

Pumice said...

Maybe you could rename your blog, "Fickle's Frumps". No? Have it your way. I agree on the fruits. On the water you could always take both to the register, have them scanned and let the people who did not label them take back what you don't want.

Not payback, just shopping their way

Grace and peace

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I had no sooner posted above that I didn't go to chinamart when the wife gave me orders to get something for her there. I mounted a defense that Krogers had the same thing for at least the same price so I went there where I got a lot of reduced items. That was a close one!

Gorges Smythe said...

I actually thought of that, Pumice. You know what they say about great minds running alike. (Or is it amok?)

Phew! I was sweatin' it for you, SF!

Chickenmom said...

I don't buy anything except bananas that comes from foreign countries. Juice is another one that you have to watch out for. A lot of it its bottled in China.

Gorges Smythe said...

I try to watch, but my wife picks out most of our stuff, and she's not very well "trained" yet, Cm. lol She's getting better, though!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

You have to watch your country of origin too because a Chinese company can package in France and it may say France on the label. We try to not buy any food item from China, that being said, you never know where the manufacturer is sourcing their ingredients from. Sort of vice versa.

Gorges Smythe said...

Sad but true, Kathy!