Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Last Couple Days

I hauled my load of dirt up to the landfill at Amanda, Ohio, Tuesday. The boss should be proud, I had the cruise set on the speed limit all the way. Of course that’s easier to do safely in Ohio than West Virginia; the flatter land makes for straighter roads. Even then, I had a 45 minute delay, due to requiring a minor truck repair at the landfill. When you live nearly on the plains and don’t have a hollow to dump your trash into, you apparently just start a mountain. The view was nice from up there, though. I was amused when the Tower Of Babel came to mind. I guess it would be more of a tower of rubble, though.

It was nice to be in farm country; we have very few serious farmers in my neck of the woods anymore. That’s probably because the parcels of land are too small and the terrain too rough to allow the bigger equipment and bigger operations needed to fulfill the desired lifestyles of people today. There was frost on the corn and soybean stubble, but the sun soon chased it away. There were grain elevators and silos, the likes of which haven’t been seen in my area for years. Amanda was a nice little town. Like many small towns, it appears to have been more active in the past, but it was still a mixture of new with the old and the occupied with the empty. They had some very nice old houses, many still maintained quite well, and their new-looking high school was very impressive. I got back to the shop early enough to haul a couple loads of materials to the neighboring county.

Yesterday morning, I went to the doctor for my first check-up in three years. He separated one combined blood pressure medicine and upped the water-pill part, partly to help with the swelling of my feet and ankles.

My blood pressure was higher than it should have been, but I’m not surprised. I had trouble finding his office because he moved back to this side of the river, and the cheap multi-million dollar company (which bought our two local hospitals and then closed one down) that he works for hadn’t put up new signage and still showed him across the river. The computer showed him across the street from the one that closed down, but the sign indicated otherwise. When I drove across the main street and onto the old hospital grounds, the office where he USED to be was completely gone. So, I thought that maybe they meant that it was across from the hospital that remained open and went there. After parking, I walked completely around the building before I found the entrance, went inside (already aware that I was at the wrong place) and asked about his location. They sent me back to where I was in the first place. Sure enough, when I went inside and asked, he DID have an office there. Amazingly, I was only six minutes late. Despite being his first patient of the day, he still kept me waiting a half-hour.

Poor Doc, the drug companies, hospital, university and the AMA have him completely brain-washed into believing all their propaganda. I don’t buy much of it, but they could still be proud, since he upped one of my meds (as I said earlier), plus prescribed some dope for my prostate problem, which I’d been thinking was just a urinary version of target panic.

After my perfunctory inspection by Doc and a blood draw, I went to work. Things were slow, so the dispatcher offered me the day off and I accepted, knowing that my wife and my dog would both be happy to see me. Unfortunately, I had to wait on my paycheck. I hadn’t waited five minutes before the dispatcher came bursting through the door to ask if I’d still be willing to work, so I told him “yes.” I then spent the rest of the day hauling dirt from a new motel to the yard of the shop, where they’re filling some low ground to make it less flood prone. It put five more hours on next week’s paycheck, so that’s a “good thing,” as Martha Stewart used to say.

I now have a short paycheck that I couldn’t get cashed yesterday, and a long weekend ahead. (Not everything about the holidays is all hunky-dory, but we’ll get through it.) I hope you all have a really great new year ahead of you. Mine certainly looks brighter than the last one, since I’m working. Of one thing, you can be sure, no matter how much I grump, I thank the Lord daily for the good things in my life, for there are many. © 2015


Sunnybrook Farm said...

You did good last year, it was stressful but entertaining at times as you worked your way through everything.

Pumice said...

I continue to rejoice with you that you are working regular and getting closer to a living wage. I find a small digital recorder helps me record thoughts as I drive. The problem is it takes so long to transcribe it all.

Blessings in the New Year.

Grace and peace

c w swanson said...

Putting five more hours on the paycheck is always, always a good thing. Make hay while the sun shines, as they say.

Chickenmom said...

Glad you finally went to the Dr.'s. Three years is just too long when you are on meds! The extra money is nice to have even though you have to wait a wee bit for it. Have a great New Year, Gorges!

Gorges Smythe said...

Well, SF, I'm glad you were entertained, I think. lol

Thanks, Pumice. Have you ever tried the voice-to-document saftware?

Very true, c w.

Thanks, Cm; I hope your new year is a great one!

HermitJim said...

Any day above ground is good one, and being able to move around without pain is an extra blessing!

Happy New Year, my friend!

Mamahen said...

Glad you're taking better care of yourself.

Mary Ann said...

I've always been thankful for your comments at Calamity Acres... and I'm so glad for your work... at least you get to see lots of different things daily, and that's a blessing. We're all getting older... we're all taking medicine. Happy New Year, anyway! :-)

Gorges Smythe said...

True, Jim, and thanks, you too.

Yeah, Mh, now if I could just get my wife to one.

I DO enjoy the variety on my job, Mary Ann, and I hope ya'll have a great new year, also.