Monday, January 19, 2015

The Scent Of Memories

-
I took the dog out about 9:30 this evening and caught a whiff of coal smoke. I never smell it during the day, so I don't know if the user just banks his evening fire with coal, or if he's trying to keep from being noticed, lest some jerk belly-ache about the smell. Regardless, he won't get any complaints from me. I've mentioned before on this blog that both sets of my grandparents had a coal grate, rather than a fireplace. Still, they burned wood with the coal.

My paternal grandparents, just over the hill, had a shed right by the back door, part of which served as a coal shed. My maternal grandparents, a mile up the road, just had a pile of coal in the backyard covered by sheets of tin, a tarp, or whatever else was handy. Needless to say, whenever I smell coal burning, I think of visiting them. Of course a LOT of folks burned coal back then, but the rest weren't my grandparents! © 2015
-

3 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

The only people who burn it here are blacksmiths. I remember it when young and like you, the smell doesn't bother me. I don't mind the smoke from cigars and pipes as they remind me of the old men back then. Cigarettes have always smelled nasty to me though and I think it is the chemicals and paper and not the actual tobacco. My favorite smoke is when I put wild cherry logs in the stove.

Chickenmom said...

I remember the tumbling racket the coal made going down the chute to the coal bin in the basement when it was delivered. Don't see much of it anymore.

Gorges Smythe said...

Cherry is good, SF, though I've learned the split pieces smell better than the little sticks. Apple is good, too.

No, Cm, this generation won't have such memories, for better or worse.