Wednesday, January 14, 2015

This Wasn’t Supposed To Happen!

-
We were supposed to have clear weather through the weekend, but I woke up this morning to about a half-inch of snow and flakes still falling. I went to work, did my pretrip and then sat around for two hours before they sent us home. Our customers apparently saw the snow and panicked. Although it’s been “snowing” all day, we still have little more than the half-inch with which we started the daylight hours.

Here it is, the time of year when bills are the highest, and I’m going to have the third low paycheck in a row. I overheard a coworker lamenting the same problem, but I think he still has kids at home, so he’s probably hurting worse than us. Unlike most of the rest of them, though, I can’t draw any low-earnings (partial unemployment) due to having no work for most of the past year-and-a-half, and the fact that even a day-and-a-half’s work will put me over the cut-off to draw even the minimum.

The local TV station has a little girl from “Sunny Cal” doing the weather these days. She’s hoping for a lot of snow, because she’s rarely seen it in her short life. Perhaps, if she knew the financial hardship, the power outages and the danger on the roadways that snow can causes, she’d be less anxious to see it. Then again, the way most folks are anymore, it might not matter.


I’m ready for spring. Of course, there WERE a few dirt jobs that we were forced off of by RAIN last fall. Oh well, I guess it’s best to take each evil (and each blessing) as it comes. © 2015
-

7 comments:

Mamahen said...

I did one of those "killing time" quizzes on fb the other day n it said I was a 15% winter lover.....the obviously misread an answer or two :/

Sunnybrook Farm said...

We were supposed to get an inch of snow and they missed that one as it went to places NW of here. We have one weather girl who seems amazed with many things including the weather. The one on the other station knows what she is talking about and looks good doing it as they say.

Sixbears said...

Snow seems to get a lot less interesting the more one gets.

Gorges Smythe said...

Probably so, Mh! lol

Maybe we got yours, SF! As for the weather girls, I notice that they dress a lot less conservative than they used to. It seems like I see a lot of bare arms, shoulders and cleveage anymore.

JMD said...

Better days are ahead! Meanwhile, snow is great to look at, right?

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I hate snow. It's pretty when it's on grassy surfaces but I hate driving on it or ice. Then you have to decide if it's worth trying to drive to work and potentially getting into an accident when people won't slow down or taking a vacation day. Fortunately for the past year or so I have been able to work from home on snow days. We are outside the city and don't have anyone to plow or salt unless we do it ourselves. Being on the ridgetop, I've had to be wenched back up the hill backwards when I've attempted to go down, even in 4WD.

Gorges Smythe said...

JMD, I LOVE to look at pictures of it taken ELSEWHERE! lol

Unfortunately, Kathy, brakes are brakes, no matter what the vehicle to which they're attached.