Monday, February 9, 2015

Almost A Maul (pics)

-
At this point, I've taken four splits off the handle section and have a rough handle about two inches square. It can be rounded down with a hatchet or a draw knife, or both. (Click images to enlarge.)


It was obvious as I drove in the froe, that splitting seasoned wood of this size was beyond the capacity of granddad's froe. Using the small tree-limb maul, or froe club, I knocked it back out and put one of my late father's splitting wedges in its place. Thumping it with his eight pound sledge, the wedge had no problem splitting the piece, of course. From then on, I used the froe to score the end of the stick and start the split, then knocked it out and finished with the sledge and wedge. The froe, froe club and sledge can be seen on my "shop chair."


None of the subsequent splits would allow the use of the froe, even the last one which was only two inches across. Froes are for GREEN wood! Remember that if you try this.


Incidentally, you may notice that I cut my froe club near a fork in the tree limb, so it would have a "head" with some extra weight. © 2015
 -

7 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I didn't know that about a froe and green wood, something to keep in mind. Hickory is just tough to deal with which makes the final result so good I guess.

Gorges Smythe said...

Actually, SF, hickory may have been too tough for it, even green. Also, if I was to start making mauls very often, I'd put the blank on a pole lathe and turn the groove, rather than chop it.

Lady Locust said...

It's looking good. Don't you love it when a project begins looking like something more than just pieces?

Chickenmom said...

Nice to see tools being worked - it's a lost art!

Gorges Smythe said...

It's rare that I have the time to actually do a project, LL, so yes, it feels good.

Thanks, Cm, and yes, sadly, it is.

Brian said...

Never came across a froe as yet...
But always scanning the flea markets for one...
Nice work Mr Smythe...;b

Gorges Smythe said...

Brian, this one is made from wrought iron, since it needs only to be strong, NOT sharp. However, you could make your own from an old automobile leaf spring. You wouldn't even need to retemper it after you shape the eye.