Saturday, February 14, 2015

From Dining Out To Snowing Sideways (w/pic)

-
Several months ago, I promised my wife Valentine’s Day dinner out, so I went to bed last night knowing that I wouldn’t be lazing in bed this morning for as long as I might like. Sure thing; I got up at the crack of 8:30 to pee and my wife told me that I should go ahead and shower. Yesterday, we’d decided to go at 3 pm, between the lunch and supper crowds, so it might not be as busy. True to form, she changed her mind and decided that she wanted to be there when they opened their doors. A phone call proved that the restaurant of choice served their lunch menu until 3 and we wanted the supper menu, so she decided to go to Olive Garden instead. I was hoping she’d choose another restaurant a bit further up the street, since it has handicapped spaces right by the front door, but no dice.

Our local OG is faced onto the street, but the parking lot is in back. Thus, fair weather and foul, you have a rather long hike to get to the front door. It was cold and extremely windy just before 11, when we showed up, but they were nice enough to let us in and seat us. I forgot to order the dinner size heart-attack-on-a-plate, so ended up with the lunch size. I could have eaten more but, truthfully, it was all I needed. Both of us thought the quality was good, though the service was second-rate, due to a customer invasion of the place just after we arrived.

Afterwards, she wanted to go to the Chinese Emporium to pick up a few things that she forgot yesterday. I stayed in the truck and touched up the edge on the little scout axe that I’d bought years ago and rehafted, as well as the hewing hatchet (side-axe to you English blokes) that I bought probably over three decades ago when a local hardware store went out of business. I plan to use the hewing hatchet on the handle of the maul that I’m making. It came from the factory with a rather poor edge and needed the honing. Worse, some factory worker who didn’t understand its function put the slightest of bevels on the flat side. I can remedy that, but it will take more than a hand stoning to do it. I wondered what would happen if some politically correct busy-body saw me in my truck sharpening hatchets, but since I was parked in the back lot, apparently that didn’t happen. At least no SWAT team showed up.

My wife said that the store was packed with people trying to stock up for the bad weather predicted. The frenzy must have infected her, too, for I sent her in with $40 and she came back with $30 worth of groceries that she’d paid $100 for. We stopped and picked up a chicken sandwich for the pooch, which had been left at home for a change, and headed the old horse (tundra) for the ridge. We hadn’t been home five minutes when the first of the foul weather hit. The sunshine gave way to sideways snow and the wind howled through the trees and any cracks it could find in the house. A lot of the snow “fell” on the west side of the tree trunks.

They’re predicting a little more snow and a LOT more wind tonight. The electric has already blinked off twice, so we’re currently keeping our fingers crossed and will add a little prayer later. Hope y’all stay warm. © 2015


Today’s view from my office window.


-

11 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Partly cloudy and windy here so far. I think we are staying in tonight, she wanted to go out last night but I made corned beef hash which is better than the canned stuff. Maybe this mess will pass quickly.

Ralph Goff said...

Nice view Gorges. That could be Sask. right now except we are -8F degrees. Sensible people will stay off the roads in these conditions.

Sixbears said...

We decided to avoid going out today. My lovely wife had an off day so a nice meal would have been wasted on her, she said.

I'd like to think that I could deal with another northern winter, but it would be pretty darn tough. I'm having trouble with a cool snap in FL.

My friends back home have run out of place to pile the snow.

Gorges Smythe said...

I certainly hope it does, SF.

I'm afraid there's a dearth of sensible people these days, Ralph.

Sounds like you're getting spoiled down there, Sixbears. Hope your wife feels better tomorrow.

Mamahen said...

We had side snow a coupld of times here also...w stayed in and I made pot roast in the slow cooker...Tom says he couldn't have bought a better meal...I think he just didnt want to go out again ;))

Chickenmom said...

Had 3" of snow again today - tonight the bitter wind will start up. Where oh where is the sunshine???

Gorges Smythe said...

Hmm, Mh, I should get directions tom your place! lol

I think it's hiding somewhere in late March, Cm!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I was wondering about working on the axe in the car.

Gorges Smythe said...

LOL - Yes, Kathy, folks DO scare easily these days. I guess youn can't blame them.

Brenda said...

Beautiful snow out your window. We don't get much in Ga. They are predicting ice maybe. Ugh!

Gorges Smythe said...

Hope y'all can at least avoid the wind, Brenda.