Thursday, February 12, 2015

Grumping, Grouching, Griping And Grousing

-
Yeah, I’m in one of those moods. I only got in a half-day at work today, and less than three hours on Monday, so it will be another short pay tomorrow. I’ve only had one full pay since Christmas—not a good thing with winter bills. I never thought that the day would come when I’d look forward to overtime, but when you can’t live on the pay you get for 40 hours (or less), your perspective changes. I’ll be glad when spring comes this year, for more reasons than one!

Ten days ago, I went to the emergency room about my leg. It DID turn out to be cellulitis, but the doctor wouldn’t treat it without doing an ultra-sound on my leg, “to be sure I didn’t have deep vein thrombosis,” or whatever they call a blood-clot in the leg. I told her that I take at least one aspirin each evening, plus, I take Vitamin E every morning, and both are blood thinners. Therefore, logic tells you that it’s unlikely that a clot would ever form. She would have none of it. After all, they have to cover their keisters for liability, plus they want to rack up all the charges possible for me to pay.

 The doctor ended up giving me two antibiotic prescriptions, a shot in each hip and an antibiotic pill for that night. She also gave me a prescription for pain pills, but when I found out it was only for two days worth, I didn’t bother to fill it. The progress has been slow; perhaps because I’ve built up some immunity to their effects (from all my past illnesses and the accompanying medicines). Doctors won’t give you any more than ten days worth of prescription, when I usually require at least 14.

So, I called the pharmacy to see if they could wheedle an extension from the ER doctor and they said that never worked; they want you to see your doctor or come back to them. So, I called my doctor’s office and got their cursed answering machine. Strange, but they never run it except when they’re in the office, and then NEVER answer the phone. Their time is very valuable, after all, while yours is utterly worthless. So, I left a message for Doc’s nurse, figuring that it was a waste of time. I haven’t always got the best results from their system, but she came through for me this time and called the meds in to the pharmacy I use. She also told me to get some probiotics since I was going to be on antibiotics so long. My leg IS better, and another ten days (which I hope is what she called in) should do the trick.

I got my bill from the hospital today. The amount due is $962.36. I hate to tell them, but they’ll be lucky to get it all by the end of summer. The two glorified acetaminophen cost $18.36. The unneeded ultrasound (I wasn’t pregnant, by the way) cost $305. The “Emergency Services” cost $639. Now, I really doubt if the hospital has any more time in my treatment than my doctor would have, so, why can he do it for a $100, and they need $639?


That kind of morally reprehensible bull pucky is part of why we ended up with Obamacare. Not that the owners of the hospital would care anything about morals or mere people. And THAT, as they say, is the view from HERE! (Hopefully, I’ll be in a better mood tomorrow) © 2015
-

10 comments:

Ralph Goff said...

Gorges, after reading that I can only say that I really have nothing to complain about here. Hope you are feeling better and back on regular work hours soon.

buddeshepherd said...

I broke a tooth. Got a temporary crown today. The temp crown was covered but the real one is not. I suspect that I could just keep getting temp crowns every six months or two years and never get the real one.
The Oregon health plan at its best...

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Ralph, I apparently needed to get things off my chest. lol

Sometimes, ya just gotta do what ya gotta do, Budd.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

As long as you are making regular payments the hospital should be OK. Don't make a big one and then skip a month or two though, better to do smaller regular payments. My husband had to have a special MRI to see about clots before they would operate on his leg. It cost us $500 and they made me pre-pay even though I have insurance, the insurance would cover it and I have money my company pays for me against deductibles plus a Flex Spend card I contribute to for medical. The bill for the whole thing came to $40k and with the pre pays on a couple of things, nothing matched the explanation of benefits and the hospital applied the "overpayments" for one procedure towards something else. It took months to figure out the bill and I still don't know if we paid what we were supposed to out of pocket. Hope you are feeling better quickly.

deborah harvey said...

hi, G,
it is just par for the course. but you can't write your own scrip so you are over a barrel.
just got over 50$ bill for emergency this january. where it is gonna come from i don't know.
insisted on an mri though no need.
love in Jesus, deb h.

Sixbears said...

One can hope that tomorrow will be a better day.

Good luck!

M. Silvius said...

Unfortunately so long as there is disconnect between the services rendered/received and the one who pays the bill, the prices will always be artificially inflated. If no one buys at the price they sell the price soon falls. It is simple supply and demand market economics. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that. These days like it or not, one has no choice but to have health insurance and so says the law. Obamacare, that now separates the provider and the consumer even more is now the law and we are all paying for it. Is there any way you can take advantage of that? I just saw something on the idiot-tube about how those that don't buy in to it only pay a fine under 400 $ and still get services. Sounds too good to be true but nothing surprises me these days with all the scamming going on.

Gorges Smythe said...

I guess it's good to have some money in reserve, Kathy, otherwise, I guess they'd just let you die.

I'm sure they's be happy to put a lien on our property, dh.

Yes, Sixbears, one can hope! But then, my mother-in-law used to say "live in hope if you die in dispair." lol

Nothing involving the government can possibly turn out good, Michael. ;-)

buddeshepherd said...

I was driving to my dentist appointment yesterday and came across a county road crew. There were two brand spanking new road graders, two brand new flagger pickups, two nearly new dump trucks. The gubment is always broke and the roads and bridges are falling apart, (so we hear). Once I ran into an old fellow in the hardware store. He told me about building all the roads in the county with a fleet of one yard dumptrucks and a dragline.
The frustration of everything being out of kilter is maddening. All I want to do is work hard and make a living wage and not be a burden on my daughter when I can't work anymore.
Then I sell hay to people who work for the gubment and drive pickups that cost more than my house.
I now understand the phrase, "to the barricades," may not agree, but I understand...

Gorges Smythe said...

Budd, I've always said that "when you take away a people's reason to live, they search for a reason to die." The powers-that-be seem to forget that's when governments are toppled.