Saturday, February 21, 2015

Still No “Woodwright’s Shop” For Me

-
I was always a fan of the Woodwright’s Shop on PBS. Roy Underhill does a good job of bringing old woodworking tools and methods to life, some of which I grew up with. His quirky humor adds yet another dimension to the show. Since my wife’s Saturday schedule involves never being home when it’s on, I used to record it and watch it later. Then PBS started moving things around to where I could never depend on recording the right thing. Then, my VHS recorder quit working. Realizing that the only time I used my TV was to watch Underhill, it didn’t make sense to replace the recorder. So, I quit watching the show. I DO have all of his books.

When they brought his shows out on DVD, I thought about collecting them but, at the time, they were charging something like $20 for a single 30 minute episode. I considered that to be ridiculous, and still do. I see they’re now available as “seasons” for $30. That’s more reasonable, but I can’t really see my way clear to afford them.

I noticed that you can view them “for free” online, so I thought I’d check it out. As it turns out, you can only view a portion of the show, then, they want you to sign up with their local PBS station. I didn’t pursue the matter, but I figured they’d demand a contribution. Even if they didn’t, I’m sure they’d hound you for money from then on. It was hard enough to get them to stop bothering me when I had to quit donating to them a few years ago. I have no intention of getting that started all over again.


So, it was nice watching you Roy but, for me, I guess you’re history. © 2015
-

4 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I really like that show but when I remember to watch it, I have already seen it as they seem to show reruns.
I hardly ever watch PBS anymore as they are so biased. They probably have his books at the library.

Gorges Smythe said...

You're right about the bias, SF, I don't normally watch it for the same reason. I checked, and today's Woodwright was one I'd seen multiplem times before, so I know what you mean about the repetition.

Pumice said...

I have only seen one episode I used to show in my history class. It involved the contributions that could be traced back to Africa. It was mostly interesting with a minor brush with PC. Since we don't have a librarian anymore most of the good video's have been "lost". We still have a speech therapist, a counseling service, social workers dealing with tardy students, many special ed aids, and a Spanish coordinator.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

Hey, at least you have a Spanish co-ordinator! lol