Tuesday, March 17, 2015

It's A Country Thing !

-
Back when I was single (the first time), a city friend couldn't understand me waving at all the country folks we passed when we went to the mountains. He REALLY couldn't understand when they waved back, or actually waved first. "It's just a country thing," I told him. "City folks used to be like that, too, until they got too 'sophisticated.' Besides, you might need to use their phone someday, so be friendly." (That was before the days of cell phones.)

I was reminded of that yesterday, while making a delivery on the road that travels between Washburn, West Virginia, and Pullman. It was a beautiful sunny day and 75 degrees. A lot of folks were "porch sitting," enjoying the spring weather. Naturally, I waved at anyone I saw, and all but one or two waved back. As I passed the Washburn General Store (established sometime in the 1800's), I saw that a row of seven or eight old codgers were sitting on the store's full-width front porch. No doubt they, too, were enjoying the weather, one another's company and a good view of the passing traffic on the little country road. As my arm went up, so did the arm of every porch sitter. I wish I could have had a picture of it!

the very last old fellow then started pumping his arm, like he probably did as a kid for trains, trucks and river boats. What could I do? OF COURSE, I gave him a couple toots on the air horn! I could hear his friends laughing through my open window. It just goes to show, you should never outgrow friendliness, and you should never forget how to be a kid! © 2015
-

8 comments:

kymber said...

Mr. Smythe - your tale of waving and honking is one of the reasons i love being back on my island. when you drive by someone's house you know, whether they are inside or outside - you honk. when you drive by a vehicle on the road, you wave and honk and they do the same back. we always know when we have passed a tourist as we wave and honk and they do not. and once we get closer to our one city, you stop the waving and honking. but we can always tell who is going down the road by how many honks and what time of day it is.

as for the last old fellow that was pumping his arms - i am glad that you gave him a couple of good toots. he sure enjoyed it and we all of us should never outgrow friendliness, enthusiasm and should never forget to feel like a kid.

great post. and i am praying that your plumbing problems will not be too taxing. much love to you, Mrs. Smythe and your little dog.

your friend,
kymber

(p.s. - i got my blogroll working again. it was much easier to fix than i originally thought. Praise the Lord!)

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks for your kind words, kymber, and your friendship. The plumbing problem is solved, BTW.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

We used to do the arm thing to trucks and most would blow for us when I was a kid.
I somehow missed your plumbing problem, sometimes I have trouble keeping up with all the blogs that I follow.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

My neighbor was talking about this very thing. She had a visitor from California- he works in Hollywood as a stunt guy and not at all used to the ways here. They were at the gas station and the unfamiliar man at the next pump said hello and started a conversation. My friend began speaking back, talking about the weather and whatever else was happening. Her friend kept asking why she was speaking to this man, did she know him, why did he speak to her, was it safe, etc. Apparently no one speaks to each other where he is from unless you know each other well. I wonder how they make friends?

Mamahen said...

This just makes my heart smile and brings back fond memories of the good ole days :))

21shergar said...

In the north east of England (between the Tyne and the Tees) it is not unusual to strike up a friendly conversation with a stranger in a queue or in a chance meeting somewhere. Once you're south of the Tees the culture changes and if such a conversation is attempted you are more likely to receive the retort, "Do I know you?" - especially in London.
One reason that I am proud to call the north east home.
County Durham and Northumberland appear to have a common trait with West Virginia.

Lady Locust said...

That 'country thing' is nation wide. I've had folks with me who when I've waved say "You know them?" Nope:) Bet that blow of the horn had those fellas in good stories for a while. Good to hear you're getting to work.

Gorges Smythe said...

I know what you mean, Sf; so do I.

They probably go to parties, Kathy. I find parties lessm than exciting.

I'm glad, Mh!

So it seems, shergar.

Thanks, LL, some days are just work, and some are FUN!