Saturday, March 28, 2015

What You Don’t Know…

-
…might severely inconvenience you! The little woman came out of the Chinese Emporium the other day with a new type of snack amongst the more needed items. I saw why; besides the fact that it was something that she’d never seen before, it showed a couple delicious-looking chunks of caramel on the center of the bag. She loves caramel! I’m sure that she never even looked at what the bag said, or that it was terribly light to be holding anything that looked even remotely like what the bag indicated. In surprisingly large letters were the words “naturally and artificially flavored.” In slightly smaller letters was the information that the contents only held 130 calories per ounce. The words “light, crispy, crunchy” should have cued her in that the contents couldn’t look anything like the almost gooey-looking items shown on the bag. Still, she was surprised when she opened the bag and found only what looked like some kind of puffed cereal.

The stuff WAS light, crispy and crunchy, but it only tasted REMOTELY like caramel. Still, we were hungry after our shopping ordeal and ate heartily. Afterwards, I noticed a familiar sliminess to my lips. “These things have Olestra in them,” I commented. That meant nothing to my wife, until I reminded her of the products that came out a few years ago that gave everyone who ate them a case of the back-house two-step. She looked at the bag and said that it didn’t mention it on the front. (She has bad eyes and can’t read the fine print. When I got home, I read the fine print and found the term “high oleic sunflower oil.” Ah-ha!


Yes, the side effects eventually “came to pass!” We won’t be buying any more of them. © 2015
-

7 comments:

Mamahen said...

It's always the details that get ya!!

Gorges Smythe said...

Sure enough, Mh!

Sunnybrook Farm said...

My wife's son ate a whole bag of potato chips that was made with a similar chemical about 15 years ago. He turned the toilet orange and thought he had some kind of disease. I eventually told him what it was and we didn't buy any more of those things. Another one of those times where you have to read the fine print and also the job isn't done until the paper work is completed.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I hate misleading photos on packages!

Lady Locust said...

Canola has a similar effect on many people - so much so that they are now beginning to list it as rapeseed oil in order to confuse people. There's a reason we don't see deer in the canola fields - they know.

M. Silvius said...

In the pharmacy section of the same Chinese emporium, they have cheap reading glasses in assorted magnification powers. Three packs sell for about 7 $. May I suggest they might be a valuable purchase. ;-)

Gorges Smythe said...

I guess there are times that the Japanese butt-washing commodes might be worth having, SF!

Yeah, Kathy, packaged goods are as bad at misrepresentation as restaurants.

I didn't realize that, LL.Thanks for telling me!

My wife can still see some, Michael (though she IS developing cataracs), she just doesn't take the time to look things over well enough!