Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Lookin’ For Work (Sorta)

-
I still like my job, but from Thanksgiving on, I haven’t made enough money to live on. That was due in part to too many unpaid holidays and more so due to bad weather. The latter should be changing soon, but that didn’t keep the utilities from sending their nasty little shut-off notices. I got a loan against my tax refund and caught ALL my bills up, but a guy shouldn’t have to do that.

I was sent home after three hours again today, so my wife suggested that I go down to the job service office and see if anything interesting was in their files. The number of jobs made a stack of paper about an inch thick, with one job per sheet. I wasn’t qualified for some. I wouldn’t have been able to do a few of them, due to physical limitations. Many paid far less than I’m currently making, including some of the truck-driving jobs. Those driving jobs paying more either required two years of over-the-road experience (which I don’t have and don’t want), require hazmat training (which I don’t want), or involve LONG hours and shift-work (which my wife doesn’t want). I truly believe the Lord put me where I am, so I guess I’ll stay there until it seems that HE wants me to move on.


I DID see a couple “interesting” job titles while I was there, though. Now you might think that a “floor technician” might involve the installation of specialty, high-tech or high-dollar flooring. Nope, but it DOES involve a mop! Another job title that intrigued me was “sandwich artist.” A picture came into my mind of someone using the finest of ingredients, slaving over their creation to make one perfect sandwich each day, both in taste and appearance, to be sold in a local high-brow restaurant to the highest bidder. I didn’t have the heart to read the job description. © 2015
-

8 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

You are experiencing hope and change.

JaneofVirginia said...

Good luck, Gorges.
Perhaps Spring will bring a raise where you are.

Gorges Smythe said...

You're right, SF; I HOPE something CHANGES! lol

Thanks, Jane. I don't think my employer is big on raises, but I'm hoping the hours will improve.

Ralph Goff said...

I see one of our local big farmers is offering $17 per hour for a farm worker. Its mostly driving big farm machinery and trucks. I don't think I could handle the hours in seeding and harvest time. I'm too accustomed to starting and quitting when I feel like it.

Gary in Bama said...

Unfortunately The days of single income steams supporting a household are ending. In addition to your present job look at your other skill sets that may be of value to others. Ask your preacher if he knows anyone that needs odd work Hauling , yard work, minor repairs .You may have physical limitations but others may be worse and willing to pay. My income is a tripod I can survive if one is thin the others usually make up for it. Good luck

Gorges Smythe said...

I figure that work is seasonal like mine, Ralph. Guess I got spoiled to factory paychecks in the day.

I'v got a small income on the side that helps a lot, Gary, just not enough. If I work here long enough to get dug out of the hole I was in, I think I can eventually adjust to the seasonal aspect, though.

Chickenmom said...

You have excellent woodworking skills, Gorges. Couldn't you advertise some items like axe handles and canes on Facebook? The sale of items like those would probably bring in some extra cash.

Gorges Smythe said...

I don't think they'd provide enough money to make a difference, Cm. However, I think that once the weather improves, things will get back to normal. A lot of the problem is that I was so far behind when I STARTED the job last July, that I wasn't really able to catch up before winter hit. I believe that time will straighten out most of my problems. (Although, I'm stacking up some firewood to sell, as I clean up some storm-toppled trees.)