Thursday, April 23, 2015

Picking Up Lead

-
I've mentioned before here, that one way to accomplish gun control is the make some of the components unavailable. Few people have probably noticed that lead is increasingly harder to get and more expensive. Then, there's also the simple concern of having supplies on hand if hard times come knocking. So, whenever I get my tires changed, I look around the lot for wheel weights. The owner discovered the price of lead a few years ago and now tells his employees to pick them up so he can sell them, rather than give them to customers who ask. However, they don't bother to claw any out of the cracks like I do.

Yesterday, while waiting on my truck, I picked up 9.7 ounces of lead weights. If I knock off 1.7 ounces for waste, I still have half a pound. According to info that I found online, that would let me cast 17 of the.500 balls that I use in my smoothbore muzzleloader. Seventeen balls would put a lot of meat in the freezer. I think I'll keep looking, whenever I go back!
-

7 comments:

M. Silvius said...

A couple of years ago a friend who was moving gave me about 300 lbs of lead in the form of cylinders used as radiation shields from medical sources. Should last me for a while. Old sailboats being scrapped also make good sources of lead.

Chickenmom said...

You would be surprised at what treasures you can find! Old lead fishing weights would be good too! Now we know why they want to ban them.

Gorges Smythe said...

Some folks that I've spoken to have had radiated lead be brittle and full of bubbles. I hope yours does better, Michael.

You'd be amazed how many seemingly unrelated things tie in to one another, Cm!

M. Silvius said...

I smelted about half of it down to the standard Lyman ingots and I did not notice any bubbles, it seemed OK but I'm no expert. I suppose when I cast my bullets I will have to weight them and see if they true out to what the mold is. The cylinders are about 6 inches long and about 3&1/2 in diameter with a hollow 1 inch core. I was told they were medical radiation shields but not sure what they contained. Maybe I will end up with nuclear bullets?

Gorges Smythe said...

I hope the lead works for you, Michael, since the price is right.

Tracey Cronkite said...

be carful some new wheel weights are zinc iron and may contaminate good lead
Mike

Gorges Smythe said...

Good point, Tracey. I'd love to have a Rockwell tester for such things. However, as long as I'm casting only for the smoothbore, I guess it doesn't matter much.