Sunday, May 17, 2015

Gold-Plated Skivvies

-
One should never be too tall, too short, too skinny or too fat. If you are, you’ll have trouble finding clothes and will pay through the nose for them. If I was an average size person, I could buy jockey shorts (briefs) at the Chinese Emporium for only $9.64 for SEVEN pair. As it is, I’ve been paying about that for three pair of 3X. I need a larger size, but that’s as large as they carry. I can’t continue doing that, though. The last couple of packs have had less fabric in them (actually making them a smaller size) and almost NO elastic. As a result, I feel like I’m wearing a white Speedo when I’ve got a pair on. Not surprisingly, they’re made in Honduras.


Today, I checked a small, independent store on the other side of town and found 4X, 5X and 6X. I bought a package containing a couple pair of the 6X to see if they’d work. I guess I’ll know tomorrow. The problem is that they were $19 for those two pair. Some of you will laugh at me balking at the price, but remember what I’ve been paying. To make matters worse, they were made in Bangladesh, and by muslims, no doubt. If I’m going to have to pay that for skivvies, I’m going to go looking for American made. Wish me luck! © 2015
-

8 comments:

kymber said...

bahahahahah! Gorges - this post has me giggling like a fool in the middle of the night! you need to start following the Framboise Manor rule - don't wear any skivvies - especially if you are paying so dear for them! have you priced boxers in your size?

much love. your friend,
kymber

Gorges Smythe said...

I never cared for boxers,kymber, and briefs are the only thing keeping my poor wife from having to see a naked 400+ pound guy from wandering around the house!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

At least Bangladesh, a country poor and prone to disaster, actually reciprocated by sending us $1 million disaster aide after Katrina. Maybe your wife could get some patterns and sew? I was thinking about that. I couldn't believe the price of men's underwear the last time I went with my husband to get some. He said the same thing about them being smaller although labeled the same size. A few years ago there was a lot more material.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks for the reminder on that, Kathy, that's pretty amazing. My wife has given up sewing, unfortunately. I realize that most folks will just figure that I've gained more weight, but they really ARE smaller, as are the shoes such countries produce and send here.

Pumice said...

Once a year when I go to a Las Vegas convention with my son I stop by a place called Urban Source because they have Pro-Club t-shirts cheaper than I can find anywhere else. On their website they list size 7x at $9.29 for two pair. I don't know if there are other brands on the site or what shipping is, but here is the website for Pro Club boxers.

http://www.vegasbigandtall.com/catalog.php?item=677

Grace and peace.

Mamahen said...

Glad you mentioned the shoes also...I have had a terrible time trying to find shoes that don't hurt my feet :/

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Pumice, I'll check them out.

Mh, they make only medium width in most styles and I think they make them shorter, as well.

deborah harvey said...

mama hen,
i have given up and now buy men's shoes but hard to find a smaller size in those these days.
deb h.