Friday, May 29, 2015

Interesting - But Depressing (w/pics)

-
This week, a couple other fellows and I have been hauling "rap" (old broken-up concrete and other demolition debris) away from an old plant that's being demolished. At one time, the plant was a huge specialty metals place. Since then, it's been bought and sold a couple times, parts of the original operation have been spun off as seperate businesses, and some parts have been sold to other companies that continue to operate on the same property. Still, much of the property is no longer used, so after many years of disuse and neglect, the unused parts are being "deconstructed." Nearly all the metal is being recycled. What materials can't be recycled, we're hauling to the dump.

I had to wait a bit to get into the place on one trip.

Click images to enlarge.

The excavator marks the spot where we've been loading the last couple days.


I find it interesting to see a world that I've had little contact with, but the scenery reminds me of pictures I've seen of bombed-out areas from World War II. The effect may not be as different as we think, either. Probably, many closed plants have EPA regulations to thank for their demise. That production, and the jobs that went with it, moved to foreign countries that have no concerns for the invironment, or for the well-being of their workers.

Wages from those jobs paid the expenses for hundreds of area families. The loss of those jobs probably caused the loss of some homes and many automobiles. The financial stress probably broke up some marriages. Some kids may not have been able to go to college. A few adults and children may have even gone hungry, once those jobs weren't there to buy the groceries. However, the bureaucrats enjoyed their power, and the executives and shareholders found they could make even more money exploiting foreign workers than they could doing it to our own citizens.

Here are three more shots of the once-flourishing factory:




I did see ONE thing that I'd love to have. About 50 feet of natural hedge along the edge of the area was made up of small sassafras trees. I have very few on my place and would love to have more. They're unbeatable for beanpoles, hotdog sticks and TEA!


Funny how quickly nature tries to reclaim its own! © 2015
-

9 comments:

Crystal Mary said...

Firstly, I loved that hedge. Yes! its hard to believe with progress how something that was once active now looks like a war zone, (your good description. There is sadness depicted here also. Gosh my mum grew us up with very little. We were blessed to have a market garden near by and my mum wrote letters for the family who couldn't read or write English well. My brother did their taxation every year, and in return they kept us supplied in wonderful vegetables. Glad you find truck driving interesting.

Chickenmom said...

The creation of the EPA is one of the worst disasters to ever happen. We gave the government too much power and it's killing us.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

It as if we lost a war that never happened, the factories were destroyed by our own government's policies. It should be cost prohibitive to import goods but they have made it more profitable than producing them here. We have been stabbed in the back.

Lady Locust said...

If we still gathered tariffs on foreign goods.....I won't go there. I wonder if you were to look at the base of the hedge, if you could find some saplings/starts that could just happen to take a ride home in your lunch box?

Brian said...

I live in central Scotland once the heartlands of heavy engineering..
And countless thriving companies that contributed into all parts of the community.. Chimney's from the brickworks could be seen from any high ground..
Now you'd be lucky to find a brick from an old chimney..
A man or woman could walk through a gate and find a job..
Now that gate will be hanging off it's hinges and rubble and weeds will welcome you...
So much has changed and never for the better...
Same story over here Gorges...;(

Sixbears said...

Looks like a lot of places across the country. The old mill in my home town was mostly torn down and hauled away. The remaining part that still runs employs about 25 people, compared to the 1500 who worked there before. It's also a major mercury superfund site that's still polluting the river, long after the industry is gong.

Gorges Smythe said...

I guess we all find a way to play the hand we're dealt, Crystal. Of course the Lord's hand is often in more things than we realize.

I couldn't agree more, Cm!

Indeed we have, SF.

I don't think we're supposed to get out of our trucks there, LL, except to adjust our load. (Besides, I could always get some starts from the few that I DO have.

I realize that the third world countries need to have work for their people, too, Brian, but I believe in taking care of our own first.

Similar stories seem to abound, Sixbears. It's a dern shame!

Ralph Goff said...

If you dislike change (as I do) then progress is always a little depressing. Not all bad but sad to see a lifestyle that seemed to work so well disappear.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yes it is, Ralph.