Saturday, June 27, 2015

Bicycling For A Cause

-
I saw the first rider before I ever made it off the ramp that led up to the eastbound lane of the old Northwestern Pike. He was in Spandex, like the ones that come out onto my country road and create safety problems. Unlike them, he was riding on the berm, instead of the center-line. Then, I saw another rider ahead of him, and then another. I thought that it was probably one of the local clubs, out for a week-day ride. Then, I noticed the “chase-car” stopped on the berm ahead, waiting for them to catch up. That’s when I realized that it was something bigger. As I drove further out the highway, I saw numerous cyclists and chase-cars.

At least once a year, some national gathering of bicyclists passes through town, usually doing a coast-to-coast ride for some charity. When I passed the second chase-car, I was able to read just enough to tell that the effort was tied to some cancer research charity. Good cause—wasted effort.

Those who’ve lost friends or relatives to some disease, understandably, want to do something to keep others from suffering through the loss that they faced. It makes them feel like they’re helping others, like their own life is making a difference, and it helps them overcome the feeling of helplessness that came from watching someone that they loved slip, daily, a little further into an early grave. Their efforts are sincere and commendable. It’s just sad that the money, that they work so hard to raise, will go to line the pockets of some already rich “research scientists” and not to the cause for which it was given.

Over the years, I’ve read the columns of a few conservative black commentators. I can’t remember which one did a piece on cancer charities, but he made the wise comment that no doctor or scientist will ever find whatever it is that you’re paying them to look for, since that would end their cash flow. Instead, they “discover” just enough information to keep hope up, meanwhile, searching all around the answer, without quite stumbling onto it. He said that if we want the answer found, that we should not pay ANYONE to search for that answer. However, we SHOULD pay multi-millions to the first person to find the cure. I’m certain that he’s right.


You may understand why I don’t waste money on disease charities. Nor do I participate in “walk-thons and such because I know where the money REALLY goes. So, how do I help sick folks and their families? I pray for them. You can, too. It will do more good than making the doctors gain a tax bracket. © 2015
-

2 comments:

Gail said...

I pray.

I help if I can. My sister has had a long haul with it and I have been there. The last report was clear...and my brain asks, Was it cancer at all? My heart is glad it's gone.

Gorges Smythe said...

I respect that some folks want to help, Gail, but I resent that organizations will steal their money with no intention of ever finding a cure.