Sunday, June 14, 2015

Me And Music

-
(If the title is improper English, mind your own business.) ;-)

Parkersburg, West Virginia, Big Red Marching Band, circa 1943. Click image to enlarge.

My taste in music is pretty broad. I like most classical music, folk music from nearly any time or country, “tribal” music, old country and western, SOME so-called country of this day and age (most would have been called “southern rock” in the past, with some being just plain rock. I like blues, swing, soul, bluegrass and jazz. Name any other kind, and I probably like it, too! Just don’t mention rap; it ain’t music. (I have spoken!)

Some of my favorite music, though, is the pop music my parents enjoyed during their younger days. I find music from the 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s to be either pleasant or poignant, except for the silly stuff, which is okay, too. Mairzy Doats is an example of the latter, and I get a kick out of it. You can hear it HERE. An example of poignant a one is “I’ll Be Home For Christmas,” which you can hear at THIS link. The “pleasant’ song that I now love/hate from a week of catching myself humming, whistling and singing is “Bie Mir Bist Du Shein.” You can hear it HERE. I guess you could call my taste in music “eclectic.” ;-) © 2015
-

9 comments:

buddeshepherd said...

My latest junker farm pickup has the radio stuck on the Mexican station. I kind of like it. Makes the dogs bark at me and my daughter refuse to ride with me but solitude is not a bad thing. Very soulful, and has trumpets and accordions at all the right places.

Gorges Smythe said...

I'm sure I'd enjoy it; I just don't know for how long.

Mamahen said...

I often wake in the morning with REALLY OLD music in my head....Guess it's because I AM old lol.

Chickenmom said...

I love Big Band music - usually have it playing in the background on the laptop. And of course, Doo-Wop and R & R. Sunday is my day for the classics. How sad and boring life would be if there was no music to listen to!

Pumice said...

The salient point of your post is that you don't like rap. This either means that you are a racist, or you can carry a tune and recognize vulgarity when you hear it. Take your choice.

Grace and peace.

Gail said...

I don't think I've told you how I like your humor. Now, I have.

Finally someone who agrees rapping is not music!!!

I was exposed to many types of music and enjoy most of them in small doses. From 40's Big Bands to soulful folk songs, I believe if I had to choose I would pick old blues...the time when the singers didn't get paid (robbed)for their music. I always kick up my heels when I hear Glen Miller's In The Mood!

Thank you for stopping by...I may need a strait jacket soon!

Gorges Smythe said...

Naw, Mh, you just have good taste in music!

I couldn't agree more, Cm!

Most would call me a racist, Pumice.

Glen Miller was a good one, Gail.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I love Mairzy Doats! I still find myself singing it once in awhile out of the blue.

Gorges Smythe said...

Me, too, Kathy! lol