Thursday, June 18, 2015

Yep, It Works! (pic)

-
Click image to enlarge.

I finally got around to trying the maul that I made a while back. It works fine, as you can see from the split piece of firewood. An axe of some kind is still needed to severe splintered sections, of course. My little log-marking axe is shown here.

The advantages of a maul are three-fold. If you're traveling to the backwoods, you save the weight of carrying a sledge-hammer. You can make it yourself, with only an axe, once you get there. Plus, it doesn't distort the base of steel wedges that you may be driving with it. Still, I don't plan on giving up my splitting maul, though I could get by without it.© 2015
 -

6 comments:

Gail said...

I have seen these. You did an amazing job. Not wrecking the wedges is good, ours are kinda smashed.

Chickenmom said...

Looks good, Gorges! How much does it weigh?

Sunnybrook Farm said...

You need to make some wooden wedges to go with it now. Not sure what they are made of, hickory or maybe osage orange.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Gail. It's best to grind off the smashed part so it won't become flying shrapnel and cut you.

Thirteen pounds at last weigh-in, Cm, but it'sprobably lighter now.

I may have a glut in the basement, SF. We always made ours from dogwood.

Ralph Goff said...

Looks good . I am envious of the straight handle. Mine is crooked as a dog's hind leg. The poplar trees are hard to find that straight here and that is what I used.

Gorges Smythe said...

The handle was ROUGHED OUT by splitting, Ralph, but it took some effort to keep chipping away at the high spots and make even as straight as it is. (It's less straight than it appears from this angle.)