Thursday, July 16, 2015

Songs In The Night

-

The tree frogs have been singing in the hundred-foot strip of woods between our house and the neighbor’s, since early spring. Their raucous, repetitive songs remind me of the long summer nights of my youth. Last week, they were joined by a single cicada singing from the woods on the opposite side of the house. A week later, it remains the only one. Its higher pitch voice adds an odd harmony to the song of the tree frogs. Its presence tells me that it will soon be joined by many relatives who will, at times, make the night almost deafening. That, in turn, will be a reminder that summer doesn’t last forever and autumn will soon be on its way. I find myself humming the tune “Sunrise, Sunset,” from “Fiddler on the Roof.” Indeed, “swiftly go the years.”© 2015
-

7 comments:

Chickenmom said...

The cicadas are here already, too. It really can get noisy at night!

Gail said...

What a great post.

The nights tend to be noisy here, too.

Ralph Goff said...

The night sounds, and silence sometimes, are one of the many great things about rural life. No traffic, no hum of industry, just nature. Although those early morning magpies can get annoying sometimes.

Gorges Smythe said...

It sure can, Cm!

Thanks, Gail.

It's crows here, Ralph.

Crystal Mary said...

If you liked in the city you wouldn't hear them.. and they'd be missed.. I never realised how much I would miss the chatter of our parrots or the kookaburra waking me up at 4am summer time, until I lived away.. But I do know what you mean. We were in Texas, passing through on our way to CA and back to Oz and stopping in a motel for the night, all you could hear was this loud noise like babies crying. I felt disturbed by it and then Ray told me it was frogs.. scary.

Harry Flashman said...

Cicadas are growing in number and volume here. They are deafening at night. It's a part of summer that I enjoy, don't know why.

Gorges Smythe said...

I guess it WOULD be strange to those unaware of it, Crystal.

It ptobably reminds you of your youth, Harry, as it does me.