Saturday, August 8, 2015

I Wish I'd Had A Camera!

-
Yesterday, I was sent to stone quarry, located across the river in enemy territory and a few miles north. I'd been there before and had been impressed with the gentleness with which the loader-man put the half-bushel sized stones into the truckbed, as opposed to dropping them from several feet in the air, like some guys do. I was only half watching in the driver's side mirror as he loaded, mainly for a hand signal from him that he was done, and that I was ready to leave.

The big machine is called an excavator by some, a track-hoe by others, and sometimes still, a “steam shovel” by old-timers like me who are having a senior moment. As the guy loaded, the front edge of the machine swung a smooth arc of as much as 270 degrees between where he picked up the stones and my truckbed. Gradually, I became aware that there was a little face in the area below his right knee. Lying there serenely, watching the world swing by from side to side, was a little pooch. His (her?) erect ears and “glass eyes” indicated an Australian Blue Heeler. His face looked like he might have had a Beagle  somewhere in his ancient ancestry. His eyes were watching mine at times, so I knew that HE knew that he was being watched. That fact didn't seem to bother him any more than the swinging of the mighty steel machine.

When the guy signaled that he was done, I stepped out onto the truck step and told him that I'd never thought about him needing a body guard back there, working alone in the quarry. He laughed, and if I heard him right, he said that he'd set him in there one day and that's where he's expected to be every day since. I told him that it was nice to spend the day working with your best friend and he agreed.


I thought of you folks as I pulled away and wished I'd had my camera. I know some of you would have found it as cute as I did. © 2015
-

8 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

Dogs aren't known as a mans best friend for nothing. They mean an awful lot to many people.

Gail said...

What a wonderful story. It makes the work place a little more pleasant when you have a friend.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I really enjoyed that story!!

Sixbears said...

Nice. Great to be able to have loyal dog at work.

I used to pick a lot of sand and gravel with my one ton pickup. The bucket loader guy was an artist. He could load the truck almost exactly to the correct weight and never jostled the springs.

M. Silvius said...

Maybe you could bring your own on the road with you for company.

Gorges Smythe said...

And I'm one of them, Harry!

So true, Gail!

Glad you liked it, Kathy!

Yes it is, Sixbears. A lot of loader operators simply don't care.

I don't think my wife would spare her, Michael!

buddeshepherd said...

Not to be negative but... I heard a story about a fellow who climbed down in a trench to check the depth and his faithful dog leaned against the lever and squashed him...

Gorges Smythe said...

Guess it's best to shut the machine off, Budd.