Saturday, August 29, 2015

Ignorance Ain't ALWAYS Bliss!

-
There have been many times in the past when I happily operated under the idea that I knew what I was doing. More often than I want to admit, my knowledge wasn't always what it should have been during some of those times. I have recently had another such experience.

Most of you who read my blog are aware that I've had some health issues lately, particularly with my breathing. Having finally shook the horrible cold that I had complicating things, I'm somewhat better, but the underlying problem is still there. Mondays, I usually go to work feeling slightly better, but as the week progresses, I feel worse and worse. As always, Friday was MOST welcome this week.

I didn't eat my usual banana and three clementines yesterday, though, as my wife told me about hearing of a drug interaction with those fruits and some blood pressure medications. I knew about grapefruit, but not bananas or oranges. Looking on the internet, I found that she was correct.

That evening, I decided to do a search for other foods rich in potassium, the culprit in reactions with the lisinopril, which is my main BP med. Low and behold, the other foods in my lunch turned up on the list! My single-serving cans of baked beans are made with white beans, which are rich in potassium, and my yogurt is rich in potassium, as well. So are the pears that I've only recently begun taking, and so are the raisins, cashews and almonds in my “trail mix.” Of course, the ham that I take has potassium lactate in it.

My two options are to change what I eat, or change medications. Since I tried changing medications once and had less than perfect results, I guess I'll experiment with changing what I eat. My wife is going to fry me five burgers which I'll use through the week on whole wheat buns. That will lessen my use of ham. I can still eat boiled eggs, since they're not that high in potassium, and I'll switch peaches for pears. Time and research should open up other options.

It may take a week or two to notice any real change, so I'll be patient and see what happens. I've decided that a developing ulcer is part of my problem. I'm on an over-the-counter treatment for it. It will be interesting if potassium reaction is the bulk of the remaining trouble. I still plan to work on my weight problem, though, since I wouldn't even NEED meds if my weight was normal.


The irony here is that most folks have a real problem getting enough potassium in their diet. In fact, I would, too, if it wasn't for the fact that it may be the problem with my breathing, due to interaction. Life is strange! © 2015
-

11 comments:

Ralph Goff said...

I hope you soon see some improvement from the changes Gorges. It is a lot of work figuring out what to eat when you have so many items that you have to avoid.

Sixbears said...

Hope it works for you! Knowledge is power.

If ignorance really was bliss there'd be a lot more happy people.

Gail said...

I was unaware those had so much potassium. Do keep a close watch.

Crystal Mary said...

Well, you probably don't want to hear this.. BUT High doses of Vitamin C reduce Blood Pressure.. HOW?? well Vitamin C helps with the absorption of O2 (oxygen) which in turn.. helps your lungs and heart (and brain) and every part of your body, because O2 feeds you cells...of which you have millions.. NOW, if the cells in your heart die, you suffer a cardiac infarct.. and your heart stops. THATS the value of O2 and how important it is for you. When you go into hospital, a little probe is placed onto your finger. This tells how much O2 is being saturated into your blood. It measures to 100% and the higher the sat, the better and the healthier you will be. Vitamin C in mega doses is needed to get you back on track if you are unwell. It is cheap and it is easy.. Do some research on Dr Thomas Levy and what he says about Vitamin C. He is not a quack, he is an American medical doctor/cardiologist/associate professor.. and I have listened to his scientific explanation for the reason Vit C works... he is spot on.
SO..http://au.iherb.com/Dr-Mercola-Premium-Supplements-Liposomal-Vitamin-C-1-000-mg-60-Licaps-Capsules/48001 and if you do take them, they take about a week to kick in and begin to work. Take 2 1,000mg caps after breakfast and after lunch. This equals 4,000mg daily. Take no later than 2 pm or you will have so much energy you won't sleep. If you can well tolerate the dose with no stomach problems of diarrhoea., then take an extra capsule or two. They cannot harm you!!!

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I didn't know about all of that other than the bananas. Could be some of it was causing the ulcer. You would think that the doctor would tell you not to eat stuff like that. Maybe a twinkie diet would work.

Chickenmom said...

My doctor always tells me: "If it tastes good, spit it out." Maybe I should listen to him...
'Hope your change in diet makes you feel better, Gorges.

Lady Locust said...

Georges, Just went through this with a friend of mine who needed a low K diet. Potatoes and dried apricots are also high. In my research, I found it wasn't so much the item of food, but what has happened to it: ex. plums are okay, but prunes are through the roof. It's aggravating to try to figure out, but if you google high K chart then look at images, it might be a little more helpful. Trying to save you a little time and frustration - good luck and keep well.

Pumice said...

One of the doctors we deal with that has helped members of our family has a theory that something called fibromyalgia is caused by a buildup of potassium. The point he makes is that some people have a tendency to maintain the potassium and it causes problems.

Life is wonderful as we get older. Blessings and wisdom.

Grace and peace.

buddeshepherd said...

Stress causes my ulcer

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

My dad had to limit potassium due to kidney issues. If you look up a kidney diet with your food selections it may provide a good list of low potassium foods or offer alternate suggestions to ones that are high. Feel better!!

Gorges Smythe said...

Please forgive me for not answering you all personally; I've been really tired lately due to some overtime and have been sleeping all I can.