Thursday, October 8, 2015

A Few Details

-
I'd mentioned before that for over three months, I've been going to  work sick, working sick, going home sick, going to bed (chair) sick and repeating  it all over again. I had “good” days and bad, however. The good days were bearable, and the bad ones made me wish the Lord would come ASAP. Thursday of last week was an especially bad day. After I got home and ate, I felt even worse. I knew that SOMTHING wasn't right, so I went to the local quick clinic to get checked out. After doing an EKG, They tried to get me to take an ambulance to the emergency room, saying that I was in A-Fib, but my wife and I prayed and I drove there without incident.

A couple more tests and X-rays and the doctor began treating the condition with medication. They kept tweaking my meds until Monday afternoon and then let me go home around supper-time. Despite upping my fluid pills, it wasn't until almost my release that they told me to cut back on fluid consumption. Go figure! Home had never looked so beautiful as I pulled into the driveway. Inside, my wife had moved my chair from beside the front door to her little TV room where she and the dog sleep. After propping up my feet and putting in earplugs, I slept better than I did at any point at the hospital. My legs and feet are still swollen horribly and hurt rather badly. The skin on them is hard to the touch, from the pressure within. I hope I don't still have cellulitis, but the right one remains red.

The last couple days have been busy ones, from tying up various loose ends that such experiences are good at producing. I'm too “rich” to get any breaks on my hospital bill, but I might be able to get half pay or less on sick-leave. Time will tell.

I was pleasantly surprised that my stepson mowed our lawn, moved my computer downstairs, and put in a new kitchen light for his mom. Even though I thanked him profusely, I doubt if he knows how much it meant to me.

Today or tomorrow, I'll be trying to get the ball rolling on getting disability. I doubt if I'll ever be able to drive truck again. They say that it takes two years and an attorney to be successful in getting disability. Many folks die before ever drawing a check. I guess that's how they want it.


One thing is for sure, if the Lord’s willing, I'll have plenty of time to sort my personal stuff, catalog old family photos and write! Copyright 2015
-

16 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

You should get disability especially since you have gone to so much trouble to get a job and worked when sick. Maybe your congressman could put it on a fast track for you.
I am glad that you are home and hope you can get comfortable and take it easy for a few days.

deborah harvey said...

husband used to work with the disabled.
the truth is that there is only so much money and you are kept in the line for it if you are persistent and don't die.
the guy was called the hatchetman by the social workers because the answer was always 'no' until enough older people fell of their perches to make a place for those next in line.
my husband has just come in and told me you need a lawyer who specializes in this.
he says first application 90% are turned down, about 50% turned down second application and if you apply the third time you have a chance.
therefore the formula is 'lawyer + persistence = success.
you might want to apply for food stamps and unemployment in the meantime.
the lawyer will tell you just what to do.
don't wait. get your appointment soon . maybe talk to a few people to find a good lawyer.
God bless you both!!

Gail said...

If the doctors state your condition truthfully you will have no trouble but the date of established disability will affect when your medicare kicks in. Also a friendly Congress Person "knows" people.

I shall pray for health. It's certainly no fun to be sick.

Mary Ann said...

Oh, no... Gorge, I am so sorry to read this, this is what is going on with Keith, too... he is being monitored weekly now by his cardiologist, and A Fib is no easy thing. His heart was shocked back into rythym 3 weeks ago.

Gorges, are you a veteran? The vets (DAV) saw to it that Keith got registered for disability a few months ago, and he is due to receive those checks starting next month. If you have served, maybe they can help you. I'm praying for you daily, I know this is no joke.


Sixbears said...

Good luck! I know it looks rough at this end. Stay with it and things will work out. All it takes is a little faith.

. . . and maybe a good lawyer. When my lovely wife went for SS they refused her the first round. The second time we went through state legal assistance. They took a 1/3 of a year's backpay, but nothing going forward. Since we had 100% of nothing, it was a good deal.

Just focus on getting healthy.

Vicki said...

Life seems to like throwing us a curve ball now and then, doesn't it. Hang in there, my friend. You and your wife are in my prayers.

Lady Locust said...

Glad to hear you are home. I have no good advise for you as other readers do - have never worked w/ disability program. However, my friend with 'somewhat similar' condition said epsom salts in tepid water foot soaks were very soothing.
More prayers going up on your behalf.

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

I am glad to hear that you are doing better. I recently had to spend four days in the hospital with the same thing. Although my experience with the Social Security Administration has been a nightmare, Arlynda's was miraculous. For she started to fill out the initial disability paperwork online and stopped before completing it. The very next day, a lady from the local Social Security office called to talk Arlynda into completing the form over the phone. A couple of weeks later, we received notice in the mail that she had been granted full disability status. Considering the fact that it took my dad over two years to get his while missing one complete vertebrae and the discs on either side in his back after running bulldozers and other heavy equipment for over 30 years, my wife's disability was indeed miraculous.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Sf.

Thanks, dh, I understand budget constraints all too well! lol

Thanks, Gail.

Persistence may be my only option, Sixbears.

Bless you, Vicki.

Thanks, LL.

Jerry, my doctor says there is absolutely no rhyme or reason why they grant some applications, but not others. It's almost like they pin them on a wall and throw darts.

Judy said...

Gorges - the Epsom Salts that Lady Locust mentioned works because it a magnesium salt. The body will absorb magnesium through the skin. If you are low on magnesium from what I have been reading it will cause lower limb swelling. Might be worth a try.

Good luck and hope you get to feeling better.

Chickenmom said...

You and your wife must have been terrified! Thankfully you are home now and resting. Perhaps your doctor will be able to help you with the disability process? Don't know much about it, but perhaps he or someone else that has been through it could help you get started on the paperwork. Take good care of yourself, please!

Pumice said...

Although your readers will enjoy your output I somehow think you would rather be mobile. I will continue to pray for your recovery and am putting special emphasis on that inner tweeking that makes it possible for you to lose weight.

Grace and peace.

Penny said...

https://www.allsup.com. Have you heard of or looked into Allsup? They assist people with getting disability...they charge a one- time fee only if they are successful. I'm not sure but I think something like 25% of the first payment or something. that sounds kind of high but it might be worth looking into, at least. They assize that they have a 97% success rate and if they aren't successful, they don't get paid.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Judy.

Went to see the attorney today, Cm. I apply Monday.

Mobility is a goal,Pumice, but working on it will be a gradual thing,

Thanks for the info, Penny.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I am sorry sorry I missed all this. I've been sick too and going to work just trying to get through, not realizing that I was just getting worse. I sure hope you qualify. My Brother in law did but needed an attorney but he did get on fairly quickly. The problem was that he couldn't get disability unless he could not work and he could not get unemployment since he wasn't able to return to work. So in the meantime it got very tight. There are places that can help though and don't be ashamed to ask for help if you need it. You can always give back later! Take care.

Gorges Smythe said...

I hope you're feeling better, Kathy. I hope they pass mine through like they did your brother's.