Monday, October 19, 2015

A Worthy "Heir"

-
It's hard to know what to do with some things when you get old and want to thin out your "stuff" a little. Some things I still keep for myself a few more years. Some, I give to relatives. Some, I give to friends. Some things, I sell, and others have absolutely no value of any kind to anyone, except the memories that they elicit in me. Those last things, I take a good look at, revel in the memories and then throw away (if I choose not to keep them).

As for the things that I give away, I try to pick folks who either know, or at least appreciate the story that often goes with an item. Sometimes, though, it's the uniqueness of the item, or the information it contains (as in books) that's important. People who truly appreciate such things are rare these days.

I have found one young man who will end up with a few of my things. He's not related, but is a former coworker. Except that he's not a Christian, I'd be proud to call him my son, but he already has a father. Still, some of his interested are such, and his appreciation enough, that I'll be passing along a few items and several books to him. He's had a rough life, partly from his own doing, but he's learned a lot through the years, and he deserves a little appreciation of his own. Maybe someday, he'll have to think about what to do with his own stuff but, for now, I hope he just enjoys life. Copyright 2015
-

9 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Hello there,
If there is something old, you might contact your local historical society. I know locally, there were folks trying to find not only items, but the stories that went with them to put together a 'local story book' of sorts. Given your family history in the area, they might be able to help &/or help connect you with the right person.
Have a fabulous evening ~ hope you are feeling better.

Chickenmom said...

I think most people would rather give an item to a person who would really appreciate the history of it than to just toss it out.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

There are some things that seem to have no value that will get thrown away after I am gone. One example is some kind of flat piece of metal that I have hauled around and keep by the back door like my grandfather did. The edge is worn smooth from countless times of scraping mud off of boots. It serves mainly to remind me of the old man who taught me how to get the mud off of my shoes on that worthless piece of metal. Some items just have no commercial value but much personal value. The advantage to these things is that nobody will typically steal them, the government has not figured out how to value and tax them so in my world they are a good investment.

Pumice said...

I would love to graze your discards but my feeling is that as soon as I got them home my wife would have a yardsale. I am currently throwing out a lot of the material I have printed over the years. I have it on disk and well backed up but I still enjoy the feel of the physical.

Part of getting old I guess.

Grace and peace.

Sixbears said...

I think I've reached the give away part of my life too. Maybe I just want to simplify.

Gail said...

That is so wonderful that you are sharing.

You may not realize how much influence you have on this young man. His ways may have improved just from knowing you. Now he has something that contains your memory. That may be more valuable than you know.

I have the worst time throwing anything out. Through my organization, I kept like kinds together, only way I know to sort, and have thought often if our children and grand children even value this stuff except for what it might bring at an auction...we always wonder don't we?

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, LL.

That's certainly how I feel, Cm.

I have some items like that, SF, like my great-grandmother's "laundry stick."

Pumice, paper still works after an EMP.

Sixbears, Thoreau was right.

Yes, Gail, we do.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

You are right! I went to the library sale before I got sick and there was a nice multi volume hardcover collection of Agatha Christie mysteries that a lady had donated. I told them I would come back and take the entire set ($1 each but made me a deal on the set). I didn't realize the person that donated them was there. They told me the next day she was so worried I wouldn't come back because she wanted them to go to someone who would care about them. What more can you ask?

Gorges Smythe said...

I guess none of want to feel like things that mean something to us end up wasted, Kathy.