Sunday, October 18, 2015

"If Wishes Were Horses...(pics)

-
...beggars would ride," my maternal grandmother used to quote to me regularly, along with "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions." I guess she had her reasons.

One thing I wish is that the old family sawmill still sat in what is now my front yard. My wife would hate it, but I'd love it. I spent many a good day at the place and, once I reached age ten, I helped saw a lot of lumber there, for the next five years or so. But, alas, the old mill was sold, after Dad got a bigger mill and put it at the farm. The power unit was moved to the new location, and a neighbor gave Dad a few bucks for the shed. It was dismantled and reassembled on the guy's nearby farm to serve as a livestock and equipment shed.

It was only a two head-block mill, but it sure sawed a lot of lumber over the years. I'd love to still have that ability. Below are three shots of the place. You might know that I don't have one good photo of the place that holds so many memories for me. Still, I enjoy looking at the photos that I do have.

Exterior shot, with family friends in foreground.

Interior shot showing end of shed away from highway.

Interior shot showing end of shed toward highway. The phone pole you see in the background is where the big light was installed, after the lumber theft mentioned in an earlier article. My father and grandfather are sawing. The onlookers were on a tour put on by a local lumber company (Elston's, of Marietta).

Yup, wish I still had that little mill and shed. I can't think of a better hobby! Copyright 2015
-.

11 comments:

Sixbears said...

For me I used to grieve at the loss of the old hunting camp. Dad sold out his share to his partners. Used to dream about the old place.

Chickenmom said...

Love the photographs - nice that you still have them. Thanks for sharing them with us, Gorges!

Pumice said...

If it is any comfort, OSHA would probably shut you down and the EPA would not let you cut most trees.

I like the pictures and wish with you it were still an option.

Get stronger.

Grace and peace

Gail said...

What wonderful memories and great pictures.

In addition to your sayings I also got, Spit in one hand and wish in the other and see which one gets full the fastest. Spit would be interchanged with any bodily function depending on the tenseness of the moment.

Have you thought of wood carving? Some can be done with tools you already have or you can fashion the tools you need out of some other item.

Blessings.

Gorges Smythe said...

I can relate to that, Sixbears.

You're welcome, Cm.

No comfort, Pumice, but true enough about OSHA. Glad you enjoyed the pics. I have one of those little chainsaw mills, but I've yet to try using it.

Gail, I don't know if I have what it takes to be a carver, but I AM going to try some "stick furniture."

Vicki said...

Old family photos are a treasure. Yours remind me of the sawmills my Dad and his brothers worked in when they were young, in the northern Minnesota woods. Thank you for reviving memories that had been forgotten.

Gorges Smythe said...

Glad to revive some memories, Vicki.

Carole Barkett said...

What a wonderful way to grow up. I think it really helps kids to see their parents at work. They learn a lot by just watching. I love working with wood and would have loved to be a carpenter but back then women didn't do such things :O)

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Too bad it's gone. I've been sick but my husband took our granddaughter, Taylor, to see the Deutsche Days settlement where they have an old steam sawmill in working condition. She loved watching all the old time crafts and ways of life.

Gorges Smythe said...

There's still time, Carole!

It's nice she has an interest in such things, Kathy.

Brian said...

Gorges I reckon you would be a happy man if the saw was singing in your yard.. Ripping up logs into lumber.. Very nice old pictures...;b