Wednesday, November 11, 2015

I’m Not “Buying” It!

-
I thought about buying some .22 shells a while back, but couldn’t find any. No biggie. I probably have enough for any hunting that I’ll do in my few remaining years, especially considering that I don’t have the wind to walk much anymore. I was thinking primarily of having them for trade goods, if times get truly desperate. Of course, we’re being told that the shortage is merely caused by panicked gun owners hoarding ammunition. I don’t buy it. In normal times, at least ONE of the ammo makers would be building a whole new factory just to meet the demand. Not so these days.

The experience DID reinforce my belief that there is a continuing war on ammunition, as a sneaky way of achieving gun control. There IS, after all, a war on lead, the idea being to make it harder to either manufacture or reload ammunition. We now live in an era of brass sinkers, zinc wheel weights, lead-free gasoline and steel shot. I’m not saying that those things are completely bad, but don’t think there isn’t an ulterior motive. The last lead smelter in the U.S. closed its doors recently, after the EPA raised the regulations on the process tenfold. Lead now has to come from foreign sources for ammo manufacture. Incidentally, I’ve read that leaded fuel for small planes will become prohibitive, also—another “dangerous” freedom done away with.


In all fairness, this started back during LBJ’s presidency, and has continued unabated ever since. THIS president, however, is managing to hasten the loss of our freedoms like no other. Sadly, most of the same idiots who voted for him earlier would happily vote for him again if they could. I guess the citizens, on average, will eventually get everything they deserve. © 2015
-

8 comments:

Sixbears said...

Lead is a problem. We even have to ship our lead batteries to be recycled to other countries. That shipping alone has got to add up. Few things heavier than lead.

One of the problems with buying used sailboats right now is that the lead in the keel is often worth more than the boat. I'm sure that's the case with the boat I just bought as it has a full lead keel.

M. Silvius said...

Plenty of 22s on the shelves here in southern Maine. There are still a few fools who hoarded what little sowed up on the tores a year ago at premium prices now trying to sell bulk boxes of 325 count for 75 bucks in the local classifieds, but no one is buying them when you can go down to Cabelas an get the same thing for 25 $. Plenty of all other ammo as well and the prices are down. Even the less in demand stuff like 9x18 Makarov, 38 S&W, 32 cal and 25 cal, 38 Super and 357 Sig is available. Tons of .223 and 7.62x39. Herters 9mm is available for 12 $ a box of 50. Tons of it on the shelves. Its pretty much the same at the local Wallyworld.

Gorges Smythe said...

I guess you might consider your boat a clandestine investment then, Sixbears! lol

Michael, there seems to be almost adequate numbers of other calibers, but the guy behind the counter says they just aren't getting in what they should be, when it comes to .22's. Maybe it's just a local, or regional thing.

Lady Locust said...

Have a friend who is a gunsmith. He said 22 shells are what they alter for snipers. Government is probably afraid of what might happen:)

Gorges Smythe said...

THAT would be an interesting thing to know, LL!

Pumice said...

Years ago when I was looking at golf clubs I asked why I could not find any drivers made in America. The salesman told me that environmental regulations made it too expensive to make them here. How do even conscientious people outvote the mindless masses that refuse to see the creeping tyranny of the elites? Most of them don't even know what they are losing.

Grace and peace

HermitJim said...

Seems like our Leader wants to push some sort of gun control right up to the last minute. Going after the ammo is just the backdoor approach, I reckon.

Gorges Smythe said...

We can't outvote them, Pumice; that's for sure. I try to buy used anymore, rather than buy foreign.

Yeah, Jim, they all do as the puppet-masters command.