Thursday, November 12, 2015

Kilroy In The Boudoir

-
Most of you older folks (like me) know about Kilroy. He used to leave notes in some of the darnedest places. He had a lot of help, of course, including me a few times.

The last time that I assisted him was several years ago when Janice, a single lady that we went to church with, asked if we could move a bed to another room of the house for her. She wasn’t all that much older than my wife and me, but she had some spinal problems and sometimes depended on some of her fellow church members to help her out. She was just fun-loving enough to be good company, but just straight-laced enough to be the object of a certain amount of teasing.

As it turned out, the two girls that she’d adopted kept her busy while we were there, and Janice barely had the time to show us what she wanted done and then inspect our work afterwards. That left my wife and me alone with the main piece of furniture in the room while we fitted the rails, put in the slats and added the box springs and mattress. Noting that there was a large black pen on the dresser, I wrote “KILROY WAS HERE!” on the middle slat and turned that side downward. We quit attending that church not long afterward, so we sort of drifted away from the folks there.


A few years later, some folks from the church pitched in and cleaned her house and moved the bed again, when she had been ill for a while. Someone found the message on the board and the news spread like wildfire among the folks there that day. Janice got asked a lot of questions in double entendre and blushed quite a bit, as she tried to think up smart-alec answers for them. From what I hear, she never did figure out just how that message got here (or when). We never told them either! © 2015
-

8 comments:

Vicki said...

Gorges...that is classic! Something I wish I had thought of. lol

Ralph Goff said...

That used to be a common old saying here too Gorges. I never did figure out who this Kilroy fellow was or what he was here for though.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Funny!!!!

Chickenmom said...

Always keep 'em wondering.... :o)

Gorges Smythe said...

Ladies, I TRY to behave, but it doesn't come easy.

Ralph, I decided to put a link here about that, as you see.

Lady Locust said...

Love it!

Gail said...

Rule number one: Never admit to anything!

What fun.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, LL.

Dern tootin', Gail!