Sunday, December 6, 2015

An Odd And Unexpected Birthday Gift (w/pic)

-
No, it’s not MY birthday; but my first cousin-once-removed turned 52 today. I’ve always liked him since he was little. He’s just one of those fellows that always has a mischievous grin on his face that makes you grin back and keep an eye over your shoulder at the same time. I was thinking that he was only 50, but Facebook told me otherwise.

Now Jack has had several women over the years, but no wife. Of course, his parents, though married for several years, didn’t set much of an example. It’s his dad that’s my first cousin, but it’s his mom that has the sense of humor; she can keep you in stitches. His dad, generally, has the personality of a brick. Thankfully, he took more after his mom. Jack is still single, though, and somewhat heartbroken. I think he’s resigned himself to bachelorhood though, perhaps, for some reasons of his own making. Still, I enjoy his company.
Recently, he bought three acres in the country with seven apple trees and a run-down house on it. He lives in a little house in town, which he bought several years ago, that once belonged to his maternal grandparents, but I think he plans on moving to the country eventually. From the work ahead of him, I’d guess the move is still a couple years away. He’s doing all the work himself, and seems to doing well at it. He seems to have most of the tools that he needs, too.

Still, I came across something in the basement recently that very few folks have anymore—a super heavy-duty crowbar. It has no crook on the end, but it has a small blade-like tip on one end, and a moderately slim point on the other end. It’s about an inch-and-a-quarter at the middle of its five foot length, and about an inch-and-an-eighth nearer to the tips. If you look closely, you can tell that it was forged from an old solid drive-shaft, probably off some vehicle from the 20’s or 30’s, knowing Granddad’s history.

Now, finding that bar put my total at three, which is at least one more than I need. I’m sure that it saw a lot of use when Granddad still worked as a rig-building contractor in the oilfields. I know that Dad and I used to use it a lot around the farm and sawmill when I was young. If you do a lot of heavy outdoor work, a heavy bar can be a good thing to have. Being hard up, I’d tried to sell it at one point, but very few folks want to buy things that have to do with hard work.

Since Jack has all that work to do on his “new” house,” I asked him if he’d have use for it, and he answered to the affirmative. Since it was still on hand when Jack’s birthday came around, it seemed a good time to get it out of my way. Today, on our way back from town, my wife and I took the side road to his new place and found him there, working on the roof of the large back deck. He seemed to enjoy getting the crowbar. After a couple handshakes and a cursory glance at the place, I let him get back to work.


To tell you the truth, I’m glad the old tool will stay in the family a few more years. © 2015

the old crowbar - click image to enlarge 
-

5 comments:

Gail said...

I am glad the bar went to a good home and it stayed in the family.

Chickenmom said...

Looks like the one my Dad had - I think he gave his away too!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

That's great that you found family that can use it.

Lady Locust said...

Sounds like he appreciates it too:) I have one just like it. They are great when trying to dig in rocks - can wedge them & lift them out of the hole.

Gorges Smythe said...

Me, too, Gail.

They're too good to junk, Cm, so giving them away is good.

I agree, Kathy.

Yes, LL, there's always a need for one around a farm.