Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Visitors

-
The little woman and I live very withdrawn lives these days. We don’t visit others and they don’t visit us. Yesterday morning was a rare exception to that.

When the Mighty Dachshund began looking toward the front of the house and barking at about eight o’clock, we found my stepson and his eight-year-old daughter outside putting on their hunting togs, getting ready to head over the hill to try and ambush a deer. Of course, my wife was appalled that he would take her hunting at all. She was even more upset that he’d put her in danger of all the bears, mountain lions and coyotes out there these days. Actually, bears and mountain lions are scarce around here, though song dogs are pretty plentiful. I just suggested that he give a glance to his back-trail occasionally, especially since he had a child with him.

An hour-and-a-half later, they were at our door, because the granddaughter needed to use our throne. I asked her if she didn’t know what bears did in the woods and, while she apparently understood the reference, she informed me that she was a lady, not a bear. Knowing what a little rapscallion she is, I found her remark particularly amusing. After answering nature’s call, she told her dad that she would prefer to stay there with us, while he returned to the woods. And so she did.

Now, NOTHING shows you just how old you are like a hyper eight-year-old running loose in your normally quiet home. She “helped” her grandma around the house, dominated my computer watching funny animal videos and wore out the Mighty Dachshund with more play than she usually got in a week from us two old folks. That child is a definite handful, but we love her dearly and wouldn’t trade our time with her for anything.

A couple hours later, we assumed it was her dad ringing our doorbell, but I was pleasantly surprised to see my old “pizza buddy” from the factory standing on my porch. I’d given up dropping in on him at his home two counties away, because I feared that I was wearing out my welcome. Even when you only see someone a couple times a year, if they don’t reciprocate, you sort of wonder if you’re pushing things. I told him the last time that the next visit was up to him. It took him two years, but he finally made it! – lol – In all fairness, he only makes it down this way a couple times a year, so IF he stopped by, I knew it would take a while.

He’d brought his wife with him and we all sat and visited for an hour or two. We got caught up on work, retirement, health, family and loved ones passed on. Of course we hit the high spots of politics and a few other things, too. Incidentally, the reason we call each other pizza buddies is because every Friday night for a few years, we’d share a large pepperoni pizza from Dominoes and a two-liter Pepsi for our supper at work. In order to get the best price, and help out my coworkers, I took orders from anyone else who wanted to order there, too. I remember ordering as many as 25 pizzas, plus sandwiches. The manager of that store even won a vacation due to the sales volume there!

Of course, all us old folks had only talked for five minutes until our granddaughter fell asleep from boredom and slept soundly until her dad eventually returned. He had no deer but he did find a dead 9-pointer and asked if one of his friends could have the antlers for craft-work. Naturally, I agreed.

Our company all left about the same time, but I think we all had a good time. I told my buddy that I’d be up to see him eventually, but that I’d probably wait until warm weather (meaning spring). He allowed as to that being a reasonable idea. Our morning sure didn’t follow our original plan (going to town to run errands), but we wouldn’t have wanted to miss a minute of it. © 2015
-



8 comments:

Gail said...

What a wonderful day!

sharpenedaxe.com said...

Even in the moments of screaming, anger and time outs, I still try to remember that my children are growing at a rate that I never anticipated. And one day they will have their own lives. I need to enjoy all aspects of their company every day, because someday, they will be out on their own.

Beautiful piece. I enjoyed reading it.

Ralph Goff said...

A good start to the day for sure. Who knows what the afternoon will bring.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yes it was, Gail!

True, Mike, and thanks.

Actually, the afternoon seemed sort of boring after that, Ralph, but we needed a short nap after all that excitement. lol

Lady Locust said...

What a pleasant surprise. You can run errands any ol' day:)

Gorges Smythe said...

Dern tootin,' LL1

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Sounds like you had a real nice day. (And it's always nice to visit with the kids and then send them home to their parents!!!)

Gorges Smythe said...

Yes I did, Kathy. And you're right about the kids! lol