Saturday, January 23, 2016

Another Surprise

-
Several years ago, the missus and I were on our back deck when we began to hear water splashing. The sound seemed to be under the deck. Turning around, we saw our little black and tan dachshund doing a perfect job of straddling a crack between two deck boards, peeing down the crack without any puddling whatsoever. We cracked up. She was paper trained and would never pee either outside, OR on the floor. I guess she got desperate, and figured it wasn’t the regular floor, so it was okay in her mind. Actually, it was okay in ours, too, since she hit the crack. She never felt the need to repeat the action.

With all the snow we’ve been getting in the last 24 hours, I’ve yet to bother sweeping a place for our little long-haired red dachshund to pee. Instead, I’ve just been letting her jump down into the same body-sized hole where she first peed and use the spot again. I figure that saves her having to wallow through fresh snow, plus, then urine seems to drain down out of sight anyway.


The last time, though, she stopped just before diving off the porch, squatted and peed on the snow-packed porch. By sheer luck (I suppose), she was perfectly centered over a crack between two deck boards, just like the other little pooch, years ago. I cracked up. I didn’t even scold her, since I couldn’t blame her for not wanting to jump down into the snow. I know that I’ll have to sweep a bigger place for her before dark, though, because she’ll probably need to do something more than pee. I just hope she doesn’t surprise me with that, too! © 2016
-

7 comments:

Gail said...

Now if she can poop through a crack, she is very talented.

JaneofVirginia said...

I always enjoy hearing about life with you, your wife and the pup. Please stay warm and safe during this unusual storm !

Gorges Smythe said...

That might require a knot-hole, Gail.

Do the same Jane. It sounds like you got hit harder than us. We only got about 9" in 26 hours.

Mary Ann said...

I came on specifically to see how you were doing! I am glad you can crack a joke, I am sure the horrid conditions are keeping you in. We are thinking of all of you in the storm's way.

Our pug Hannah used to go on the deck, I just cleaned up after her. She couldn't see well enough to use the yard. :-)

Gorges Smythe said...

Mary Ann, we had only about 9"in 26 solid hours of snow, so we're lucky. I didn't venture out, though, except to take the dog.

Chickenmom said...

That is one darn smart dog, Gorges!

Gorges Smythe said...

So it appears, Cm!