Monday, January 4, 2016

Consulting With Children

-
She wasn’t a child, actually, though she was more than young enough to be my daughter, and darned near young enough to be my granddaughter. Still, she was a fully certified nurse practitioner, filling in for my doctor as he worked a busy day of appointments. I was a walk-in, after all, there to whine about the cellulitis coming back after I bumped my leg a couple weeks ago.


After all the requisite questions and checking my vitals, she gave me the prescription that I’d expected. Before leaving, I asked her if she thought that alum would dry up the weeping blister on my leg. I had to spell it for her when she thought I’d said “aloe.” She then admitted that she was familiar with the substance. I explained to her what it was. Then I asked her if she thought a styptic pencil would dry it up. Once again, she’d never heard of it, so I explained what such an item did for us old timers who still shave with a blade. I joked that she should google both terms and broaden her knowledge. She smiled and told me that she planned on it.

The situation sort of repeated itself at the pharmacy, when I asked the same questions to the young fellow working there. He assured me that they didn’t sell alum at the pharmacy area when I asked. When I got home, I looked on line and found that I should be able to get alum in the McCormick section of spices at most any grocery store. I think it’s used in some pickling recipes, if I remember. One thing I know, I shouldn’t bother asking young people anything unless it’s about things their age group is very familiar with. LOL © 2016
-

7 comments:

Scooney Adrift said...

The older I get, the more this is true, and there are no older folks around for them to ask. Sad.

Mary Ann said...

Okay, this is actually the post that SCARES me!

Gail said...

I think the old remedies will be more reliable because they are tried and true.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, Scooney, and us old codgers aren't always around to ask each other. PLUS, you can't find EVERYTHING online.

LOL, I think we ALL feel a bit that way, Mary Ann!

I think you're right, Gail.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

That's true!

byGeorge said...

After reading this, I did some internet searching. Amazon or EBay carries a fine medicine that will most likely help with you 'weeping' wound -BFI Powder. Production of this wonderful product has stopped. The cost online is prohibitive. Same goes for iodine (banned by medicals) I called drugstore (don't carry it Banned by FDA apparently) Same for Mercurochrome (this contains mercury)even Merthiolate banned. BFI Powder was a staple in our home; healing many wounds and burns.

Another product I would suggest is DE food grade/diatomaceous earth. It heals, it kills fleas, intestinal parasites, completely natural and safe. Hope this and your continuing to research will be of good use to you.

Also scary when a druggist doesn't know anything about a particular product. Called my druggist once to get some iodine. Duh! SHE NEVER HEARD OF IT.

Gorges Smythe said...

Sad though it is, Kathy.

Thanks for the info, bG. I guess since it such things aren't available anymore, the schools don't teach anything about the old ways.