Saturday, January 9, 2016

I'm In That "Precontemplation" Stage!

-
In the mail today, I received a response to the online questionnaire recently sent to me by my Medicaid provider. Naturally, I was curmudgeonly blunt about the likelihood of making any drastic lifestyle changes to improve my health. (Actually, I am SLOWLY making a few changes, but I'm not going to sugar-coat it to make them feel better.)

Of course, in this touchy-feely, politically correct world that we live in, they don't really want to say "Do it our way or die, sucker! So, they tell me that I'm in the "Precontemplation stage." That means (they say) that I don't intend to make any changes in the next six months. They then tell me, using terminology that a bubble-headed first grade teacher (as opposed to a good one) might use, to kindly explain what I might do to slowly see the error of my ways. They also tell me that I might want to show this letter to my doctor, no doubt hoping he'd have the courage they lack, and tell me to straighten up and fly right. He already does that, but I just tell him that I have to die someday, anyway.

I guess I'm just a precontemplative kinda guy. © 2016

-

10 comments:

Sixbears said...

You are in the "fixin to" stage.

Gail said...

I was recently told doctors can fire their patients now if they don't get well soon enough to suit them especially if they are getting paid less than from a private payer. It was a health care person that told me that.

I don't like all the wellness hoops they want you to jump through...do this, do that or...oh, well. Looks like I'm right there with you.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks for putting that in English for me, Sixbears! lol

Maybe fair is fair, Gail. My wife and I have fired several doctors over the years, sometimes after only one visit!

Pumice said...

I have had times in my life when doctors would do what they could for me and charge what I could afford. Those days are gone now. I really think that they can go to jail or lose their license if they don't jump through the government hoops. I remember people going to Mexico to get treatment at one point.

One of the last areas of freedom is in the area of refusing.

Grace and peace.

Judy said...

I ask them if they (the person insisting on the test/treatment) are going to pay for it because I don't have the money for it. So far that has shut them up.

Gorges Smythe said...

They're slowly taking that away, too, Pumice.

It generally does, Judy.

Chickenmom said...

Hubby and I are lucky - we have had a great family doctor for years and years. Go for a physical one a year and just have a follow up if we need it. Listens to our aches and pains and gives good advise. We trust him. Don't know what we'll do when he retires.

Gorges Smythe said...

Cm, I deliberately picked one young enough that I suspect will still be practicing when I croak! lol

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Think harder, stay well!

Gorges Smythe said...

I'll have to try that, Kathy! lol