Friday, January 22, 2016

Unfollowing Friends

-
For those of you who don’t use Facebook, anyone you allow into the group of people that receives your posts is termed a “friend.” They may be a total stranger, but the term remains. You see their posts, as well. Surprisingly, I have several young people as members of my group, some of whom are former co-workers, and some who are friends of those folks. A couple younger relatives are in the mix, too. One by one, however, I find myself unfollowing them. They can still see my posts if they choose, but I won’t see theirs. As far as I know, there’s no indication on their end that I’ve unfollowed them, unless they notice that I no longer comment on their posts.

It’s not that I don’t like them as individuals; it’s just that I’m growing tired of their lack of wisdom. Although I can tolerate folks who believe differently than I, there needs to be some logical reason for their beliefs. Being open-minded is how we continue to learn as we grow older, but we need to be able to apply what we already know in order to do that. Most of these “kids” (ages 20 to 55 – lol) are above average in intelligence, yet are poster children for the dumbing-down of America. They have been so indoctrinated by their schooling and the main stream media that the things they know have nothing to do with what they believe. Naturally, they can’t see the disconnect.


If you try to discuss something with them, any disagreement raises tired platitudes, false facts, hurt feelings or aroused tempers. I have learned very little from them, and I believe that they’ve learned absolutely NOTHING from me, though one or two seems to consider me a wise old codger. I guess I’m just growing less patient in my old age. Plus, I’m growing tired of trying to explain myself to folks who seem unable to comprehend anything that doesn’t fit heir preconceived world views. I can still message them if I want, and vice-versa, using Facebook’s version of email; I just don’t see their posts. Frankly, it makes my life more peaceful. © 2016
-

12 comments:

deborah harvey said...

as you age you find that it is wiser not to get into positions where you get your knickers in a knot over this type of stuff.
i used to send occasionally to people any books i could afford but found that the books are often set aside and never read.
why waste time, money, and temper over it?
do what you can for yourself and let God handle everything else
He is the only One Who can do it anyway.
you do not need any more stress than you have in your condition.

read something funny that makes you laugh out loud.
i like dave barry.

a merry heart doeth good like a medicine.

Gorges Smythe said...

Valid point, dh!

Lady Locust said...

This is what is being taught to them in school. We too have 'young' relatives that believe in the smoke and mirrors images. I tell hubby to give them 20 years, they'll see.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

My husband would probably win the most unfriended award on facebook!! I have not unfriended anyone but I have done sort of what you did, I stopped their feed but I also made it so my posts are not visible except feeds like blogger. I don't dislike that person but got tired of him always commenting on my cats. He'd say things like use them for fishing bait, or his dog would like to eat them. He's a family friend but crossed the line with me.

Gail said...

I detest facebook.

deborah harvey said...

kfu
he crossed the cat line!
if you cross it around here my daughter will eat you.

someone once made a comment about someone heading for 40 years becoming a spinster and owning a houseful of cats.
daughter said why wait til 40?

lady locust,
if they live long enough to come to their senses. like the prodigal son--he came to himself.

Pumice said...

The total ignorance of my classes always stops me cold. Of course, they are only eighth graders but I have yet to find any awareness of the world around them. In my advanced class I am trying to teach them about media bias and considering your sources. I am trying to present a balanced view and let them make up their own minds. As I try to work through a discussion I suddenly realize that I am getting nothing but blank looks and realize that they have no awareness. This is my "gifted" group with not a problem child in the mix. They have no idea who anyone running for president is except Donald Trump. They have never heard of Rush let alone Glenn Beck. It starts with ignorant parents, is fed by shallow teachers and reinforced by complicit media. Several times I have even been called into the office and told it is "inappropriate" that I talk about certain issues.

I am trying to be a Johnny Appleseed but when you have Paul Bunyan coming behind you with his ax to chop down and his ox to stomp it seems a bit hopeless.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yes, by the time they've ruined the nation, they'll regret their actions.

Gosh, Kathy, I'm no cat lover myself; I hope I don't get axed! lol

I did the first time, Gail. It seemed like the only people that wanted to stay in touch from the old days were folks that I'd "outgrown." (I know that sounds vain, but I bet you know what I mean.) After a couple years, I opened it back up and immediately got rid of EVERYONE and then started over from scratch. I now have few old friends on there, but a lot of newer acquaintances with whom I have more in common. We tend to make posts on local history, religion, politics, prepping and old-timey ways of living.

Nothing personal, dh, but I'll stick with pooches, though I'm much more tolerant of felines than I used to be.

Keep fighting the good fight, Pumice, maybe something will be remembered by them a few years down the road.

An At Home Daughter said...

Where is your "Like Button". ; )
I have had the same issue, but I guess smaller. I had to create the Facebook account to get some info on our goats. Then found out that the only way rabbit breeders sell their rabbits anymore is on Facebook. So then joined the rabbit groups for that purpose. I blocked everything on my account first thing when I created it so that nobody could search for me and send me the friend requests. I've gotten a couple from other rabbit breeders from the groups I belong to, but surprise to them! They won't find anything on my page, but a few things I saved. I don't want to post my life on there. Anyways, they were filling my feed with their "nonsense". I didn't have to unfriend them. I clicked something for it to stop sending me their posts.

Gorges Smythe said...

You probably clicked "unfollow" on your options. I'll have to see if the local rabbit breeders use Facebook; I'm thinking of getting back into raising them.

Mary Ann said...

I don't unfriend them, but I DO unfollow people... just like you do... so I don't have to see them in my feed. No hurt feelings, and no aggravation for me!

Gorges Smythe said...

Yes, Mary Ann, that seems to work best.