Thursday, January 7, 2016

Who'd A Thunk? (pic)

-

The old toolbox was basically black when I fist saw it, but it was hard to say if was stain from an early paint-job, or if it was the crude oil and dirt sticking to it that gave it that color. At the time, I think it was holding a set of pipe-threading dies and handle for my dad's elderly half-first cousin. He'd spent his life working in the oilfields and was getting to the point where he and his two old maid sisters could no longer live in the old home place.

My dad and I ended up with most of the tools when the cousins were relocated at a nursing home, so the box ended up in our barn. The contents were either sold or given away, and I cleaned the crud off the old box and painted it with grey metal primer. For many years, it sat in Dad's barn with some of my tools in it. A few years after  Dad passed away, it ended up in my basement, but the tools were put in other boxes.

Recently, in an effort to rid clutter from the basement, and pick up a few bucks, I decided to put it up for sale. I'd always heard that it was originally made to mount on a car or truck's running board. That alone tells me that it's old. A look online shows me that there's a very good chance that it was made for a Model T Ford. That end of the family had a garage where they worked on vehicles for people back in the 20's through, perhaps, the early 40's. I guess that makes it all seem pretty likely it is what I think it is. © 2016
-

4 comments:

Lady Locust said...

If only it could talk. . .

Gail said...

Oh, the stories it could tell!

Gorges Smythe said...

Very true, LL.

Yup, Gail; it would be interesting.

Gorges Smythe said...

Incidentally, I checked the size (there were four) and it's part number 9014!