Saturday, February 13, 2016

I Had My Stressless Test

-
The insurance company that handles my Medicaid finally came through with approval, after causing a week’s delay in getting my stress test. Frankly, I was more concerned about it than I am my actual implant procedure, after some of the horror stories about even the chemical version. I had no reaction whatsoever to the stuff they pumped into me though.

The most aggravating part was laying my nearly 400 pound carcass onto a “bed” of what seemed to be a quarter circumference of a body-length piece of three foot steel pipe. A normal-sized person would probably have had no problems, but I lapped over the edges just enough that it was almost painful. Unfortunately, my irregular heartbeat made the test take longer than it would have otherwise. They blocked my legs up a bit to make me more comfortable, but near the end of the second siege of the test, my right leg fell from the block. Since developing this heart problem, I’ve learned to fall asleep even when sitting up in a somewhat uncomfortable chair, so I knew what had happened.

I apologized to the nurse, since I was supposed to hold still, while the little traveling gizmo above my chest snapped “pictures” of my heart. I asked if I hadn’t fallen asleep, and the nurse replied, “a little bit.” When asked if I’d been snoring, she LAUGHED and repeated that line. That told me that only a minute before, the room had probably reverberated with the sound of a large sawmill in a full-power cut. Luckily, my test lasted only a couple more minutes.

I lucked out by being one of only three people to be tested that day, when usually they do ten. The others had cancelled due to the weather. As a result, I was out at least an hour sooner than normal. They called the next day to say that the test had shown that I was okay for surgery, so this coming Wednesday, I’ll go under the knife, weather permitting.


They said that I’ll remain conscious enough to converse with them; I just hope that I don’t snore. © 2016
-

14 comments:

Vicki said...

Glad to hear your test results were good. Continuing prayers for a successful surgery.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Vicki; I appreciate that.

MuddyValley said...

I wish you the all best Gorges!

deborah harvey said...

God protect you.
you may find it easier to lose weight when the heart is working properly.
ask about a sleep apnea test. if you need a bipap machine you will see that proper sleep causes weight loss.
my husband needs one. it is surprisingly common.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, MV!

I've had it for a good 30 years, dh, but never admitted it, for fear I couldn't get a job. I read now that it might be what actually caused my heart problem. I'm supposed to be tested for it in a couple weeks.

Gail said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Chickenmom said...

Prayers for a very successful surgery, Gorges. (And don't worry about the snoring - it will keep them on their toes!)

Ralph Goff said...

That is pretty laid back and relaxed to fall asleep under those conditions Gorges. I normally have no problem sleeping but under those test conditions I'd be at full stress alert right through it. Good luck on Wednesday. Hoping it improves your health significantly.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Gail, and bless you.

I hadn't thought of that, Cm.Thanks! lol

Thanks, Ralph, I appreciate it.

Lady Locust said...

I no very wise when it comes to procedures, but will keep you in my prayers and many wishes for a speedy recovery. Also <400# good job & keep going:)

byGeorge said...

Wishing for total success and quick recovery, Gorges. Snow is pouring here...and there I'm assuming. So, let's hope you don't get on that "Postponed List" this Wednesday. Waiting is cruel; postponement often makes it more so.

Pumice said...

Wednesday. Got it. I am pretty consistent in remembering you in prayer Monday through Friday but my weekends get a little inconsistent. Internet stuff is the opposite.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, LL!

Thanks, bG, it's raining here by the time I got around to answering you.

Thanks, Pumice. I really appreciate the prayers.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, dh; your comment somehow slipped in after I responded.