Sunday, February 7, 2016

Reduced Bathing

-
When I was a kid, our well silted in and we had to carry water for many ears. As a result, we took sponge baths all week and took our proverbial weekly bath on Saturday night, so we wouldn't be overly odiferous for church the next morning. Frankly, though many folks with water constraints still have to do such things, I'm glad that I still have the option of showering whenever I want.

I've always heard that many folks bathe less when they get old. I remember that my “clean-as-a-whistle” great aunt got to where she didn't want to bother with it when she began suffering from Alzheimer’s. She lived with my mother at that stage, though, and mom made sure that she got a complete bath a couple times a week.

As I've gotten fatter over the years, I've learned another reason that some folks might put it off, when they can. It simply gets very difficult to do a good job at it. Naturally, that's all the more reason to do it! With my current lack of energy, I have to keep after myself to stay clean enough to be presentable to others. After all, I never know when “the kids” will stop by, and I'd hate for my granddaughter turn up her nose when she hugs her grandpa.

Naturally, I won't be able to do this in warm weather. For now, though, sitting here in the house to avoid the often unpleasant weather doesn’t cause me to work up a sweat, so I can get by with skipping a day. Though my wife no longer seems to notice if I skip TWO days (not sure if that's a good thing). I notice that I can't stand myself! So, showering is pretty much every other day for now.

There ARE a some slight advantages to reducing the number of baths you take. It should cut very slightly on the water bill, as well as making the soap last longer. Then, too, there's a little less laundry, since I use fewer towels. My wife is one of those “one use” folks, so in theory, there will be less detergent and fabric softener used, and there should be less wear on the towels from less use and laundering. In case you're wondering, yes, I know the savings will be so slight as to be unnoticeable, but that doesn't mean that they don't make for a good excuse! - lol

All things considered, while the weather remains cold, I'll probably continue my slothfulness, at least as long as the neighbors don't begin referring to me as “Stinky.”

copyright 2016
-

7 comments:

JMD said...

You are too funny! It has been excessively cold, today was the first day I have "thawed out" in a while.

Gorges Smythe said...

Spring's a-comin', JMD; you just hang in there!

JMD said...

I have hope, we are managing a weak 70 degrees. Not a moment too soon.

Mike Hotel said...

My dad never much cared. He'd shower for the doctor or when he went out to dinner, but as far as an every day occurrence, forget it. He grew up on the farm and sometimes he smelled worse than the farm.

Gorges Smythe said...

A lot of folks today don't realize how much trouble bathing used to be, Mike.

deborah harvey said...

stinky peterson--red green show

Gorges Smythe said...

I quit watching that show when I thought they got blasphemous a couple times, dh. Until then, I enjoyed it.