Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Sick Of TV

-
As with anyone trapped in the house, TV wears thin pretty quickly with me. It amazes me how you can have 100-200 channels and not find ANYTHING worth watching at times. They could turn off every sports channel I get and I'd be happy. I can understand people PLAYING sports, but I can't fathom sitting around watching OTHER people play sports. I especially can't understand why we think such sports "entertainers" (like actors) are worth 10 times the salary of the president of our country (THIS president excepted).

And then there are the cooking shows. I used to sit down sometimes when my wife watched Julia Childs, The Galloping Gourmet, The Frugal Gourmet and others and watch them with her. On such shows, you saw genteel folks trying to teach others to cook delicious, wholesome food. Now, it's often some purple-haired, tattooed creature from who-knows-where, fixing tiny, "artistic" sculptures of "haute cuisine." And then there are the myriads of cooking competitions, a spin-off, I suppose, on the remodeling competitions that they showed too many of a few years ago.

The stupidest cooking competition is the one where they showcase the country's "worst cooks." Every whipstitch, they eliminate the worst of the worst and send them packing, which eventually leaves them with the best of the worst. What does THAT accomplish? If they wanted to improve bad cooks, they'd keep them all. If they had to have a competition, they could do like the old game shows and have prizes. Why do such shows, as well as the regular viewers I suppose, feel the need to castigate the worst of the worst?

As for the rest of the programming, it's mostly either idiocy or trash, though there are a few RARE exceptions. Even the children's cartoons are sexually loaded these days. I think the problem is that the media has encouraged trash, and a trashy society has demanded trash From the media. As to which came first, I guess it would be a "chicken or the egg" situation.

I go online some and read a bit to maintain my sanity, but I'll be glad when the snow is gone, everything once again turns a beautiful BROWN, and I can escape the idiot box.

copyright 2016
-

14 comments:

Vicki said...

I'm with you. I gave my TV away. I don't miss it at all.

Ralph Goff said...

Well there is always "reality tv". Just kidding. I can well imagine. Tv makes a nice break or a handy diversion after a day's work but I think a steady diet of it might make me sick. Hope you can get outdoors and enjoy the beauty of the real world soon Gorges.

deborah harvey said...

go to the library and get books.
if they don't have what you want use inter library loan and the books you want will be shipped to your library at no cost to you.
.
my husband finds an author he likes and then orders his books, preferably in the chronology in which they were written.
good to read the chronicles of narnia kids' series. and anything by george macdonald.
the c s lewis series for adults is 'perelandra', 'out of the silent planet', and 'that hideous strength'. you should like them all, full of Christian truth and mystery.

of course there are all the books for men like you who know how to do things--forestry, gardening, mechanical stuff.

try it, you'll like it. inter library loan.

Tewshooz said...

We got rid of our TV a couple of years ago..all the commercials is what finally got to us. Now we get our news over the internet and read blogs like yours, lol. Between Netflix and Amazon Prime, we are in hog heaven.

byGeorge said...

I agree your your assessment. TV is trash 99.5% A total brainwashing machine. I'm certain it is planned to be this way. Keeps the masses controlled
I've rarely watched television in 40 years. I'm missing nothing. Something you may enjoy is taking a free course from these colleges online...at your own pace too. I enjoy this very much, read a lot, books, online of course, WWW.Gutenberg.org is full of story treasures.

Sixbears said...

You are watching way too much TV . . . of course, it doesn't take all that much to be too much.

Gorges Smythe said...

Well, Vicki, I DO occasionally find a good program during the wee hours of the morning, if I'm having trouble sleeping. If anything happened to me wife, though, I'd probably ditch the cable and save the money.

You're right, Ralph, it makes a good diversion at times; it's just that it makes an irritating cellmate.

I haven't had a library card for years, dh; maybe it IS time to remedy that.

Tewshooz, my paternal grandmother (a preacher's daughter) would consider modern television the devil's work, and I think she'd be right, for the most part.

It's part of the plan, indeed, bG.

Thanks, Sixbears, I appreciate the second diagnosis. ;-)

JMD said...

We cut the cord on the tv about 8 years ago and it is amazing how much we read and get accomplished in a very good way. Each to their own on that one though.

Euripides said...

Two words: audio books. They are easy on my old eyes and I can sit and relax with a good book for hours on end.

Gorges Smythe said...

No doubt it was a wise choice, JMD.

I've thought about that, E.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

We get the HD channels (sub channels of local tv stations) that play ME TV and TV Land that have the old Mayberry RFD, Lucy, Andy Griffith Shows, westerns, etc. If I have nothing else to do and not streaming I just turn one of those on. They must be getting more popular, at first they had commercials for hover rounds, catheters and life insurance and now they are getting more mainstream ads. I wish they would go back to shows like that which taught morals, family friendly, funny without being vulgar.

Gorges Smythe said...

LOL, I would watch some of those, Kathy, but my wife owns the remote and has seen them too many times.

Mike Hotel said...

We just got our first tv after not having one for ten years. I hate it. I was much more productive beforehand.

Gorges Smythe said...

Guess you can always sell it, Mike!