Monday, February 1, 2016

Sitting And Thinking

-
It’s been a while since I’ve had the time and the weather to do any porch sitting. Today got up to 64 here, though, and I had some odd moments here and there, so I had about an hour’s time to enjoy the outdoors. My time sitting there was divided into three hitches, though. The first hitch was for about 15 minutes when my wife and I got back from a sortie into enemy territory. The second was for about half-an-hour, after taking the dog out. She stayed with me until my wife got lonely and reclaimed her. After dark, I went out and sat again for about another 15 minutes.

It was rather breezy today—“trying to blow something up,” as the old-timers used to say. Perhaps it was the breeze, but there were few sounds of wildlife today; I mostly just heard the sounds of man. You could tell from the increased cloudiness that it was “puckerin’ up to rain,” as the old man across the road used to describe it. He was an intelligent but humorous fellow who wore bib-overalls and acted like a country bumpkin, but he was nobody’s fool. I still miss the old codger after these 20 years or so that he’s been gone.
That got me to thinking about him and a lot of other things. Also, I was looking at all the brush and greenbriers that I want to cut at the edge of the yard. Two trees need cut on the other side of the house and some patching done on the roof, too.


Something else then popped into my mind. Since I’m soon going to have a defibrillator in my chest, and I believe that there will be a deliberate EMP event in years to come, I’m curious as to how it would react to the EMP. Would it simply cease to work, or would I croak from a little machine gone wild. I’d hate to be driving at the time, as a dying man would have a difficult time controlling a dying vehicle. I’d hate to hurt someone. I guess I could turn down the operation and just trust in the Lord to have me live as long as He wills. Still, I suspect this opportunity is from Him, too, so I might as well do it. Things are in His hands, regardless. © 2016
-

5 comments:

Vicki said...

Porch sitting is the next best way to work through our problems. Prayer is the best way. But you already know that, don't you. :)

Gorges Smythe said...

Yes I do, Vicki, but reminders are always welcome.

Judy said...

Had a little chuckle - You get get a piece of tin foil and tape it across your defib unit. Or is that taking the tin-foil hat thinking to far?

Chickenmom said...

Life is like a Timex watch. Takes a lickin', but keeps on tickin'.
And that battery? Just keeps everything running smoothly! :o)

Gorges Smythe said...

Are you making fun of my hat, Judy?

I'll hope so, Cm.