Thursday, March 24, 2016

An Aggravating Morning

-
Yesterday afternoon, I called the local library to see if it was true that someone there did taxes for free for old folks. They said yes, but only on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings from 8 to 12. I asked if there were certain qualifications needed to get the free help, and they suggested that I call the Senior Citizens organization, since they were the ones doing the work. There, they told me that there were no qualifiers, but that they only did it on THURSDAY mornings.

I showered at midnight, to save time in the morning, but didn’t get to sleep until 1:30. At 3:30 the pooch needed to be taken out. Unfortunately, I still wasn’t sleeping soundly when my wife got up at 5:30 to take her shower. I never got back to sleep and due to her impatience, we left at 7 for the twenty minute drive to the library. Thankfully, I talked her into splitting a McD’s breakfast, so our bellies wouldn’t be completely empty.

Due once again to my wife’s impatience, we were standing outside the basement door (where the work supposedly was done) at 7:40. It wasn’t very warm. At 8, no-one had come to the door, so I called the Senior Citizens again to check on the hours. Wouldn’t you know, they didn’t actually start until 9? Since my water pill had kicked in, we drove a couple blocks down the street so I could use the restroom at a gas station. Then, we returned to the library to wait. This time, we sat across the street in the truck until 10 ‘til. We waited upstairs this time, since I was growing a little dubious of the whole situation.

Although several workers were milling around inside, it wasn’t until a couple minutes after that a middle-aged lady sauntered over and opened the door. I held the door for the three ladies who’d gotten to the door as we were hobbling across the street, and the middle-aged lady held the door for those who arrived after us. Once she was inside, I asked her if the people were there yet that did the taxes, and she told that was only on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. When I told her that the center had told me it was only on Thursdays, she said, “Oh, they were meaning at THEIR office!” I smiled as I thanked her and we hobbled back to the truck. Since I don’t even know where their office is, and don’t want to go through all this again, I’m going to be lazy and have my stepson do our taxes again this year. He doesn’t charge me, either, bless his soul.

Since our plans were shot, my wife decided to go to the Wally World on the far side of town and get her hair done. I was all for it, remembering the nice crop of dandelions that I saw at the Lowe’s next door about three days ago. After dropping her at the proper door, I cruised to the back of the Lowe’s lot to pick a big mess of delicious dandelion greens, only to discover that they’d mowed yesterday! I didn’t see ONE usable leaf remaining. Disheartened, I tried unsuccessfully to snooze in the truck until she returned.

Just before getting to our driveway a few minutes later, I glanced down and saw the two bills that I’d meant to mail while we were in town. I just put them in our box and put the flag up. It was still only 10:15, so I tried to nap in my chair for a while, but my wife’s TV kept me awake. Finally, I decided to just get on my computer and whine to you folks.  I’m hoping for a better afternoon (but I’m not holding my breath). © 2016
-


7 comments:

Ralph Goff said...

Aggravating for sure. Poor communication will do that. Sometimes the best thing you can say about a day is "well, it could have been worse".

Marian Love Phillips said...

So sorry for all you had to go through and it's OK to whine! I got to go next Wednesday to get my taxes done for FREE at the Library. Only one day a week (Wednesday) and a mob shows up so I will have to get up at 6:00 in the morning to wake up, get my coffee, dress and get to town before 8:00. It's a first come first serve situation. They do not open the conference doors until 9:00 but the entrance to the library is open so you can use the bathrooms. There is a separate door to the library and to the conference room where the volunteers will do my taxes. Usually takes about an hour and half at the most that you have to wait your turn and get processed. Good thing you have someone else that can do your taxes for free. Some days are like that.

Wishing you and yours a Blessed Easter! Marian

deborah harvey said...

they are expensive but maybe goodwill or salvation army may get some in-- those earmuff things that cut out noise.
or fix ear phones to tv so wife can get the sound without disturbing others?

Chickenmom said...

Outside of all that, how was your day? :o)

Gorges Smythe said...

That's probably true, Ralph.

I gave mine to my stepson yesterday afternoon, Marian. He'll "git 'er done!"

When my checks start coming in, I'm going to my chainsaw dealer and get a pair, dh. Actually, I've got a pair NOW if I don't mind wearing the helmet they're attached to. lol

There's one in every crowd, Cm! ;-)

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Isn't that always the problem, no one can effectively communicate. Even our local paper forgets the prime Who, What, Where, When, Why and How! Basic journalism. Sorry you had such a frustrating time.

Gorges Smythe said...

Well, Kathy, the afternoon was better. lol