Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Eating The 17 Year Locust

-
Click  image to enlarge.

You’ll have to blame Pumice, over at Medley ofWorship for reminding me of this subject.

The big bugs which we call locusts in America aren’t really locusts at all, but cicadas. Still, they sometimes come in numbers that rival the real locust plagues of biblical mention. In the parts of the world which still have locust plagues, the natives often get the ultimate revenge on the destructive little devils by eating them. I’m sure that our wild animals, and some tame ones do the same with our cicadas, so why not us? The squeamish have already lost their last meal and written me off as a freak, so the rest of you stay with me.

You CAN eat the 17 year locust, and the Native Americans often took advantage of the easily gathered bits of protein, when they were available. They’re said to taste somewhat like shrimp, though I suspect the flavor could vary some depending on their main food source. Concerns include choking on the wings and legs if not removed, allergic reaction (especially with those who have shell-fish allergies) and mercury content (though I suspect that is worst in polluted areas).

Here are some sites to check out for the interested or the adventurous:



Google the subject and you’ll find many more sites on the subject. © 2016
-

8 comments:

Sixbears said...

Food is food. I'd be willing to try it. I've tried grasshoppers so how bad can it be?

Ralph Goff said...

I'd probably try them, if someone else prepared them. We don't have cicadas here but some summers you could live quite well on grasshoppers. Not that I have ever tried them either but I hear they are ok to eat.

Gorges Smythe said...

I've never tried either, gentlemen, but I'd try them, too, if they were offered to me.

deborah harvey said...

i love cicadas, but not for dinner.
i have seen cats enjoy crunching on them.
in huntington our cicadas are beautiful green and gold.
their singing pleases me. it is lovely and soothing.

Gorges Smythe said...

I'd never thought of it as soothing, dh, but then it never bothered me either.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I have heard of this but somehow the image of 12 fried cicadas surrounding a bowl of cocktail sauce is just not that appealing as shrimp! LOL

Pumice said...

You offer a spin I missed. We have clover honey and orange honey, why not direct the locusts to eat certain things so we can get natural flavoring. Good idea.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

LOL - I know what you mean, Kathy; I haven't tried them.

Hey Pumice, we could make some big money on this,.....every 17 years.